Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aftermarket Blower-fan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Hi All,

Looking for suggestions on aftermarket blower fans for my 3.6 conversion. Nothing wrong with the stock 914 equipment, but would like to know what members have used to give the system a bit more 'Umph'.

Pictures welcome, thanks in advance!
jim_hoyland
I considered modifing 911 footwell fans at one time....
mepstein
Talk to Jonny who does the electric a/c kits. He supplies a better fan for his kits.
https://www.classicretrofit.com/
ClayPerrine
Are you talking about the fresh air fan?

Clay
DRPHIL914
[quote name='RiqueMar' date='Mar 29 2021, 07:43 PM' post='2903951']
Hi All,

Looking for suggestions on aftermarket blower fans for my 3.6 conversion. Nothing wrong with the stock 914 equipment, but would like to know what members have used to give the system a bit more 'Umph'.

Pictures welcome,

if you are talking about the front defrost/fresh air fan, i just rebuilt one using the new URO fan and motor assembly and on high speed its surprising how much air it moves, there is no need to do anything different for this, it moves a lot of air.
- and if you want one that has a good resistor pack, i have 2 that are ready to be rebuilt, just need to order the replacment fan/motor, but i have them on my desk ready to install the new fan, i just have to order the new seals, will include a fan to housing seal and upper and lower airbox seal and flapper seal.
- PM for details. if you have one that needs to be rebuilt you can send me as a core, i will
take $100 off the price for this.

Phil,
RiqueMar
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 30 2021, 09:47 AM) *

Are you talking about the fresh air fan?

Clay

Hey Clay,

I'm talking about the fan, located in the engine bay, used to push air through the Heat-exchangers. When my engine was in the previous car, it had a system seen in the photo below. I don't remember if it was a good solution or not, and believe I have since lost the fan.

Click to view attachment

RiqueMar
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 30 2021, 10:14 AM) *

if you are talking about the front defrost/fresh air fan, i just rebuilt one using the new URO fan and motor assembly and on high speed its surprising how much air it moves, there is no need to do anything different for this, it moves a lot of air.
- and if you want one that has a good resistor pack, i have 2 that are ready to be rebuilt, just need to order the replacment fan/motor, but i have them on my desk ready to install the new fan, i just have to order the new seals, will include a fan to housing seal and upper and lower airbox seal and flapper seal.
- PM for details. if you have one that needs to be rebuilt you can send me as a core, i will

Phil,

@DRPHIL914

Hi Phil - My mistake for not specifying int he original post. Not looking for the Fresh-air type blower, but rather something for the heating system. Thanks anyway! bye1.gif
ClayPerrine
That is a common engine compartment fan for a 914/4. They were not used on the sixes.

Lots of them out there.

Clay
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Mar 30 2021, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 30 2021, 10:14 AM) *

Phil,

@DRPHIL914

Hi Phil - My mistake for not specifying int he original post. Not looking for the Fresh-air type blower, but rather something for the heating system. Thanks anyway! bye1.gif

@RiqueMar

hey you might be able to try a bilge fan from a marine supply store, they could be mounted under there in line, but a good stock one should be fine, my rear aux fan for the heat also went bad and i sourced one from a member hear fairly cheap, like Clay said there are a lot of them out there. good luck!
RiqueMar
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 30 2021, 12:34 PM) *

hey you might be able to try a bilge fan from a marine supply store, they could be mounted under there in line, but a good stock one should be fine, my rear aux fan for the heat also went bad and i sourced one from a member hear fairly cheap, like Clay said there are a lot of them out there. good luck!

@DRPHIL914

You're on to my train-of-thought.

Originally, the previous installation had the heater-tube going up and over the engine. To make it look cleaner and supply more air-flow, was thinking to put a blower on each side of the engine, supplying each of the ducts that lead to the cabin, photo below.

I wasn't aware the motor in the photo was a stock 914/4 part, shows how much I know. I'll put up an add in the classified section. bye1.gif

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Backdate the heat. Looks way cleaner and works great in a 914 with so little cabin volume. - as long as you have good heat exchangers like what Ben makes.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 30 2021, 02:31 PM) *

Backdate the heat. Looks way cleaner and works great in a 914 with so little cabin volume. - as long as you have good heat exchangers like what Ben makes.

@mepstein - Nothing like top-off, heat on night-driving. shades.gif

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
wow those are great!
Mark Henry
A stock set up gets the best pressure at speed (3K RPM-up).
For an effective booster fan that tied into the stock engine fan you need one way flappers for both sides. The stock VW/914 fan has a flapper built into the plastic end of the fan.

If you delete the engine fan circuit I doubt if you find an electric fan that does much better than the engine fan at speed. The electric fan mostly just boosts the air pressure at idle/ low speed.
mepstein
BB’s are known for mediocre heat. An electric fan won’t help.
But you are in the land of warmth so they might be enough.
Steve
I wonder how well this PMS adapter works with heat exchangers?
https://patrickmotorsports.com/collections/...05-hfs-d225-pms
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 30 2021, 06:59 PM) *

I wonder how well this PMS adapter works with heat exchangers?
https://patrickmotorsports.com/collections/...05-hfs-d225-pms

Hmmm, hadn't seen that before, interesting solution.

Emailing them now. I'm curious about fitment, seems like it would get a little crowded around the engine bay in a 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.