Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Surprise, surprise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
930cabman
Great news, a new to us 914 from the West coast is scheduled to arrive Friday or Saturday. I spoke with the carrier today and he informed me "the keys are locked inside the car". Just great, makes the anticipation even better than I was expecting. I called the seller and he told me the drivers door had been "fussy" for some time and "now it evidently has failed to work" "passenger side has not worked in awhile" Seller said "you might have to break a window. but they area dime a dozen"

Car was described as a "solid rust free project"

Is there an easy way to enter a locked 914 and how many more surprises await??

thanks in advance, I might need it
Root_Werks
I think a window glass is cheaper than a door handle so yes, I would tape up the window and break it. Sharp metal punch, tiny tap will do it.
Shivers
I left mine hanging in the ignition once. Used a wire coat hanger and made a hook at the end. Hooked the key ring. I don't know where your keys are but a slim jim should catch that rod that opens the door
Root_Werks
Oh shoot, forgot to say congrats on a new 914! Hopefully full of good surprises and not rusty ones.
930cabman
QUOTE(Shivers @ Mar 30 2021, 04:22 PM) *

I left mine hanging in the ignition once. Used a wire coat hanger and made a hook at the end. Hooked the key ring. I don't know where your keys are but a slim jim should catch that rod that opens the door

Thanks, at least I have a few days to work through potential solutions before she arrives. Great idea with the slim jim, I have an extra door laying around that I can experiment with.

If a "solid rust free" 914 shows up, I will not be disappointed
KELTY360
I once used a sturdy coat hanger wire to slide between the top and the window and reach across to the lock lever on the other to release took a lot of fiddling. Do you have AAA?
930cabman
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 30 2021, 04:44 PM) *

I once used a sturdy coat hanger wire to slide between the top and the window and reach across to the lock lever on the other to release took a lot of fiddling. Do you have AAA?

No, but a do know a good locksmith well. Might be worth $100. instead of a broken window.
Cairo94507
Congratulations on the new 914. Sucks about the keys locked int he car. I would call road service or pay a locksmith to open the door. I would not break the glass.

I guess you could fiddle with a coat hanger. If you have a young son, high school or Jr. college, give him a stout coat hanger, not the cheap crap you see today and ask him to open the door and if he opens it with no damage to the car, give him $50. I would tape off any painted surfaces first before you go that route. beerchug.gif
930cabman
From what I understand, the problem is in the handle/lock connection. Perhaps a 50 year lack of lubrication ....

I would consider removing the windshield, it may be the least intrusive entry
Chris914n6
There is a plastic piece that breaks that attaches the flap to the latch. So the door could actually be unlocked.
In that case you just need to pull the inner door handle via wire from the other door. The window will pull out enough to do that.

Or roll down the window....
StarBear
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 30 2021, 06:44 PM) *

agree.gif Yep; did that too. Tediuous and took a while but it worked. Easier the time I left the keys on the seat, but same principle.
930cabman
Thanks all, I will report back when this girl arrives, supposed to be filled with extra parts too.
mepstein
I got one open with a coat hanger to grab the targa latch. Took me like 30 seconds.
bretth
I don't know if it will apply but I locked the keys in a rental truck 2 years ago. Uhaul told me to call the police to unlock it. Sure enough they came out gave me a strange look but opened it up with a couple tools he had. Just don't call 911, I called the local police number. Congrats on the car.
SirAndy
That one time i left my keys inside the 914, the AAA guy got the door open in less than 10 seconds with some flat metal hook contraption.

huh.gif

Spoke
I locked the keys in my 914 once. I ended up sliding a flat piece of 20ga steel 2 inches wide in between the window and the roof and used the steel to hit the window crank to lower the window enough to get my arm in to open the door.
CptTripps
As others have mentioned, its easy to "jimmy" the lock on a 914. Cops used to do it for you, but AAA is a good bet too.

But...if you do end up breaking a window, I'm not too far away in Cleveland and can ship you a replacement window. I should have extras coming in this week from a set of doors I'm buying. Just PM me your address and I'll get one off to you.
ClayPerrine
If you do have to break a window, I would break the little triangle window. I have never seen one break, and it is easier to replace than the big window.

And I have opened a 914 with a coat hanger before too. It just takes patience.

Clay
Johny Blackstain
Back in the 70's I noticed my Dad refused to use any of the locks on the LE; never locked anything (doors/trunks/glove box) and he lubed the locks. He was the same way with the Bug, the Rabbit and the Scirocco. I picked up the habit myself biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 31 2021, 10:38 AM) *

Back in the 70's I noticed my Dad refused to use any of the locks on the LE; never locked anything (doors/trunks/glove box) and he lubed the locks. He was the same way with the Bug, the Rabbit and the Scirocco. I picked up the habit myself biggrin.gif

Back in the mid 80's, i drove my 914 to see my friend in NYC. I jumped out of the car when I saw her, we started talking and walking and I didn't just forget to lock the car, I never even put the top back on. We went out that night, I slept over and the next day saw that I had left the car wide open. No body touched a thing. Lucky...
DRPHIL914

well i thing a well maintained/restored lock mechanism should work properly and you should have no fear. When i restored this car i took those mechancisms out, got newly cleaned and plated ones that slide like butter. new handles with a new cam thingy on the outer door handle mechanism and better than new. I lock my doors, all the locks have been serviced and i have new keys done by Tweet. I always lock the trunks. all those mechanisms are new with new cables too.

dont break a window especially a triangle window, that was one of the worst jobs i had to do on a 914 in restoring it was putting those in with new seals , horrible.

sorry Clay i rarely would disagree with you but on this one i think there is a better way.

but congratulations on the new 914!!!!!!!
9one4tay
Couldn’t get into mine a couple years ago, I pulled the right side of window out a bit and wedged my wallet in the gap to give me some room. Then I used a coat hanger with a loop on the end to pull the interior door handle
rhodyguy
A mobile locksmith and a 'slim jim' will make short work of it. Faster, easier and prob cheaper than sourcing and shipping a replacement window. I think it would have to be in a wooden box for safe travels. R&Ring a window is a big hassle. You might be able to make your own SJ with a piece of thin flexible tin.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 31 2021, 09:48 AM) *

well i thing a well maintained/restored lock mechanism should work properly and you should have no fear. When i restored this car i took those mechancisms out, got newly cleaned and plated ones that slide like butter. new handles with a new cam thingy on the outer door handle mechanism and better than new. I lock my doors, all the locks have been serviced and i have new keys done by Tweet. I always lock the trunks. all those mechanisms are new with new cables too.

dont break a window especially a triangle window, that was one of the worst jobs i had to do on a 914 in restoring it was putting those in with new seals , horrible.

sorry Clay i rarely would disagree with you but on this one i think there is a better way.

I said "If you do have to break a window..." I didn't say I recommended it. But the triangle window only requires removing two screws to get it out. The big window in the door requires disassembly of the door to replace.

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Mar 31 2021, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Mar 31 2021, 09:48 AM) *

I said "If you do have to break a window..." I didn't say I recommended it. But the triangle window only requires removing two screws to get it out. The big window in the door requires disassembly of the door to replace.

yes you did wacko.gif this is what i get for not reading more carefully , carry on bye1.gif
Superhawk996
WTF.gif

So no one is going to ask the obvious question?

What’s happening with the rustoration project you started with?

Didn’t take long for the sickness to get to you too. 914’s are notorious for this! Now the owner of two 914’s. happy11.gif beerchug.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(9one4tay @ Mar 31 2021, 09:15 AM) *

Couldn’t get into mine a couple years ago, I pulled the right side of window out a bit and wedged my wallet in the gap to give me some room. Then I used a coat hanger with a loop on the end to pull the interior door handle

Our new "rust free project" is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, I am thinking using this method. Thanks to all for the replies
930cabman
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 31 2021, 02:47 PM) *

WTF.gif

So no one is going to ask the obvious question?

What’s happening with the rustoration project you started with?

Didn’t take long for the sickness to get to you too. 914’s are notorious for this! Now the owner of two 914’s. happy11.gif beerchug.gif

Our 914 rustout project is moving full ahead with a small delay for a triple hernia and diastasis surgery a few weeks ago. My recovery is moving slow and being an old guy I am not pushing much at all. (Wife) Most of my structural metal work is complete, moving forward with brakes, ......

I could not pass up on this rust free project with tons of extra parts for $6.k.

Sickness, this will make 5 P-cars, 1964 sc coupe, 1975 911s, 1987 turbo cab and two 914's. Add a couple Alfa spiders to the mix and an original paint 1970 Dodge Power Wagon to the mix. Wife has never discouraged my "hobby"
930cabman
Our rust free project showed up Saturday, photos coming. and yes, we are unable to get the doors open. I tried and tried and finally called my locksmith, he told me "give me a few days to research and we get it open" So far she looks very good, original paint takes a sheen and no signs of rust, but we all know different
eric9144
You can unlatch the roof by poking something thru the top window seal, first the back ones, hook them, if they're good, they'll pop back into the unlatched position, then take something like a ruler and use it to hit the front latches and move them down.

I "might" have locked myself out as a teenager and that was surprisingly easy and worst case you monkey up a easily replaced seal.
930cabman
Locksmith showed up today, 5 minutes later he was in. Used a stiff (heavier than a coat hanger) wire and went in at the top edge of the door glass and pulled the interior latch. We disassembled the lock mechanism and found it was dry as hell and just cranky. I bet a good cleaning and oiling she will be as good as new.

"2. liter in need of rebuild" came with the deal, I started stripping it down and found under the valve covers sparkling clean. Also found the #1 and #2 intake runner seals very loose, obviously they were not doing their job. Loosened the spark plugs a bit and spun it over by hand. We have compression!! Tomorrow I will bolt it up to a tranny and run a real compression test and hook up an oil pressure gauge for fun. Wish me luck.
Thanks
Tdskip
We

Need

Pictures
930cabman
Checked into our local hospital yesterday for being dizzy. I had a triple hernia repair and diastasis repair March 18th and have not been right since. Visiting my primary doctor Tuesday, hoping he can get to the bottom of my slow recovery. On first observations our "rust free project" looks like a keeper, might be a nice example for my wife with a stock 2 liter
fiacra
QUOTE(930cabman @ Apr 11 2021, 01:38 PM) *

Checked into our local hospital yesterday for being dizzy.

Congratulations on the new car! Sounds like you scored a good deal.

Google "BPPV" and check you the youtube videos on how to do the Epley maneuver. Happens a lot in our post operative patients especially since most people are fluid restricting because they don't want to have to get up to go to the bathroom and thus get dehydrated. By far the most common cause of vertigo, but often missed by an inexperienced practitioner. Not trying to diagnose from afar, but if I'm playing the odds......
930cabman
QUOTE(fiacra @ Apr 11 2021, 04:07 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Apr 11 2021, 01:38 PM) *

Checked into our local hospital yesterday for being dizzy.

Congratulations on the new car! Sounds like you scored a good deal.

Google "BPPV" and check you the youtube videos on how to do the Epley maneuver. Happens a lot in our post operative patients especially since most people are fluid restricting because they don't want to have to get up to go to the bathroom and thus get dehydrated. By far the most common cause of vertigo, but often missed by an inexperienced practitioner. Not trying to diagnose from afar, but if I'm playing the odds......

Thank you with regards to BPPV, after a few visits to the ER and no clear reason for my lack of appetite, energy and occasional dizzy spells, my gut is telling me 68 years of wear and tear and a low hemoglobin (after my surgery) is the reason. Thanks again, I am scheduled to visit my primary doctor Tuesday. He will get to the bottom of it.
rhodyguy
OT. Do you feel like you are going to pass out? Low blood pressure and heart rate? Any chance it might be Vasovagal syncope? Post colon resection I experienced Vs twice. First time I fell on the kitchen table then to the floor. Woke up staring at a BRIGHT light. Yipes! Kitchen ceiling lights. Called 911, all normal after testing. Second time, sweats and lightheaded, I knew what was coming and sat on the floor. My wife woke me up. My MD thought might have been due to pain meds. So I cut the doses in half.
930cabman
Aging, what a wonderful process!!! I was fine prior to this surgery on March 18, hoping my primary doctor will get things sorted out soon, but could be the recovery period is what it is. I did have internal bleeding for two weeks after the surgery, could be a factor.

Thanks
930cabman
First day since my surgery, March 18 I am feeling close to normal, but what is that? Managed to get a few shots of the new project, perfect targa topClick to view attachment

Decent looking original paintClick to view attachment

Pile of service records from day 1, she's a keeper, might become a new ride for my wifeClick to view attachment

A bunch of extra parts came with her, looking into the 2.0 that "needs rebuild". Upon disassembly I found the intake runners had to have been leaking badly. I'm going to get the engine bolted up to a tranny and run a compression and oil pressure check keeping fingers crossed
Superhawk996
aktion035.gif Nice!
930cabman
Thanks, back in the 70's an 80's I repaired several 356, Ghias, Bugs with an oxy/acetylene setup, gas welding in new formed 18 and 20 gauge sections. After a few of them I swore off rustout projects, but when a "free 914 project" came along last November I jumped in head first. Approaching 70 years soon the fun of rustout restorations has satisfying results.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.