Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front suspension point rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmargush
Has anyone done this repair?

I have to get in to the sheet metal of the trunk on the drivers side as it is through the whole way.

And I also need to replace the brace pieces

Any input on what you did is appreciated.

Fab patch panels by hand?

graft in section from a parts car?

are any of these parts available from a restoration company?
914Sixer
Not a normal rust point in my experience.
mepstein
I think resto design might have the piece you need. Like sixer said, it’s not a common rust spot so probably on a lot of parts cars.
Luke M
Look at RD website they have everything that you will need to fix that. Don't bother with a parts car section. New metal is the way to go after all it's holding your front suspension in place.

https://www.restoration-design.com/store/category/914
9146C
I agree with mepstein and Luke M,

I found the same issue when I was rebuilding my 1972 last year...I started with "custom patch panels" and found metal thinning in several areas.

Wound up buying the front pan section as well as the passenger front triangle piece (mine looked like it trapped moisture between the two metal panels and corroded from the inside out).

Good luck!
mepstein
I agree with Luke. If RD has the metal, it's the way to go.
jmargush
Thanks for the input, I will check out RD
bkrantz
Be cautious about the positions of any replacement pieces. If you move the suspension mount points it will lead to future headaches.
cary
Check the inner fender behind the strut for flex creases.
Hopefully not.
Seems like it took a good hit on the mount.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.