Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early 911 & possible 914/6 question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JerryP
Stumbled onto a '72 911(has a 2.7 with 40k on it). Owner also has the original 2.4T which she says she removed because it leaked oil.(I know...I didn't bother getting into it.). Husband says it runs great and the old motor ran when they took it out. Interior needs a little work but not too bad. Boxes everywhere(just moved into new house) so I couldn't do the screwdriver test but it looks solid with just a few blemishes.

Sorry no pics because I am an idiot and forgot despite having 2 cameras attached to my person at the time. Anyway, they want to sell to make room for their jag and the husband's cobra.

I may be able to get it all for $8500. Is this in the ballpark if it passes a more thorough inspection? TIA
TimT
Im not sure what your describing?

is it a '72 with a running 2.7 in it + a spare 2.4? If so thats a pretty good deal!

if it is relatively rust free.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (TimT @ Jul 20 2005, 09:00 AM)
Im not sure what your describing?

is it a '72 with a running 2.7 in it + a spare 2.4? If so thats a pretty good deal!

if it is relatively rust free.

agree.gif sounds like a good deal...
zymurgist
No, that's a terrible deal. You should run away from these people and their strange six cylinder engines.

And then send me their name, address, and telephone number so I can properly chastise them myself. biggrin.gif
Root_Werks
Slap that 2.4 back in that polished turd and sell it for $8500 and presto! You just got yourself a free 2.7! biggrin.gif
JerryP
Yes....it is a 72 911 with a running 2.7 and an additional albeit questionable 2.4T. It looks decent but of course a thorough rust inspection is necessary. Sounded good to me but I don't know early 911 values.

Getting myself a free 2.4 or 2.7 was my first thought but I didn't know if a 72 911 was worth 8500. After reading this and checking some prices and ebay, it seems like a good deal.
zymurgist
I paid more than 8500 for my '70. Of course it has a "built" 2.4 MFI motor and other performance upgrades, and the interior is in sad shape, but I think 8500 is pretty good for a '72.

I also would put the 2.4 back in it and sell the car and keep the 2.7 motor.
tat2dphreak
it's hard to find a 911 less than 12k that's not a parts car. or at the least not running regardless of year.... I used to keep a watch out for a friend
JerryP
I'll be making some phone calls today. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 20 2005, 06:49 AM)
it's hard to find a 911 less than 12k that's not a parts car. or at the least not running regardless of year.... I used to keep a watch out for a friend

Not here....there are two SCs that are under 10K...running in the local paper.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Manfred Z @ Jul 20 2005, 10:25 AM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jul 20 2005, 06:49 AM)

Not here....there are two SCs that are under 10K...running in the local paper.

hmm I used to watch all the online places for him... he wussed out, his wife won't let him... he can't even drive stick... so I quit looking... he has no business with one. wink.gif
bondo
The 2.4 still has the MFI, right? That's the one you want for the 914, if it'll fit.. Sounds like a chainsaw on nitrous! smile.gif
JerryP
Owner did say the 2.4 has the MFI. The engine wasn't in the garage so I don't know the state of it. She said it ran when they took it out back in 1992. Could be just a core by now for all I know. I will find out.
MarkG
'69 -> '73 1/2 911 are the future collector Porsche's. I wish like heck I still had my '69!

$8500 for a good condition original (i.e. put the MFI 2.4 back in!) pre-1974 911 sounds good. The 2.4 will, at the least, need a 'seal job' after sitting so long (all seals and gaskets replaced). Look at this car as an investment.

Put the 2.7 in you 914.....

zymurgist
QUOTE (MarkG @ Jul 20 2005, 08:36 AM)
'69 -> '73 1/2 911 are the future collector Porsche's.

I personally hope so. My '70 isn't exactly original, but it is a lightened no-sunroof coupe with all kinds of good parts. S calipers, 915 tranny, 2.4 MFI motor with S cams, and it goes like a scalded cat. I figure I can hold this car for a few years, do the cosmetic work that the PO wasn't concerned with and when the economy picks up, sell it for a profit.

Unfortunately, by then, the Signal Orange 914/6 with my name on it will be that much more expensive too. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.