Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Final word on carb linkage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaredmcginness
Hey fellas,

When I built my car, I "cut" a few corners (maybe quite literally) In order to get it on the road sooner.

Some of these choices have come back to bite me.

The main one is carb linkage (the other is the tail shift first.gif)
I purchased CB's Hex bar linkage for my dual dells. It has been OK to adjust, but they continuously get jammed and often times 'hangs' and slowly settles to idle.

I drove the car this past weekend and two different times each link got jammed open at stoplights, forcing the idle to 3000rpm. No dice!

So I am seeing several threads that are 5-10 years old. Most say Tangerine is the only way to go - just bite the bullet.... Anything else on the market since then or is the move?

Opinions?

Pic of the pile:

IPB Image
914werke
Click to view attachment
jitty
Yea, I recently went thru this, started with CB hex bar linkage and finally got fed up with not being able to sync the carbs properly due to the offset. Didn't have any sticking problems, but I put a good return spring opposing the throttle cable.

So I switched to the Tangerine cable setup. Much improved overall, but I still had to add another return spring opposing the throttle cable.
rhodyguy
Buy one from Triad. Based on the Wietmister (sp) design. The spring centered one from CB sucks. Dave's even comes with a throttle cable bracket (not the CB). With the linkage mounted on the front of the carbs there are 0 cable issues. Stouter heim joints too.
VaccaRabite
I've had the Tangerine. I've had the hex bar. Tangerine was WAY better.

That said, in the short run just grease the joints and add a return spring to the hex bar.

Zach
Mark Henry
I'd personally make a center pull.

Laner also makes a nice cable linkage, he sells them on thesamba, goes by the name "Flat".

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=2079800
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.