Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: interior windshield trim replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Calwaterbear
Ok so I have essentilly pulled out ll of the crumbly old window seal. it leaves behind a metal "band" in the slot between the window and the dash. I'm assuming the 914Rubbers part just presses on over that metal rim?
yellowporky
the new seal presses onto the pinch weld and there is no other product that goes on first.
if there is something removable left behind it would be the inner structure of the old seal. remove it
FlacaProductions
I think that "band" that you're seeing is probably the pinch weld that yellowporky is referencing. Your new seal should just push onto that.
framos914
When I removed the original seal it came out in pieces. There was also a sort of jagged metal band that was attached to the seal. It also came out in pieces due to age.
Like stated above, make sure that if the metal band you see is part of the old seal, it will have to come out.
jcd914
That "jagged metal band" was part of the original seal.

I don't think the 914rubber seal will fit over the "jagged metal band" but I don't know.

My windshield is out in the shed and probably that seal too.

Good luck
Jim
Mikey914
I'm sure you are looking at the old metal from the old seal that pinched onto the lip.

The new seal will sit on the welded lip or you can over center it by cutting it about 1/8" longer than needed and walking it down from the sides. Not there is a beveled cut needed on both sides to make perfectly flush, bur it looks good and will not promote rust.

You can remove the old metal with a dental pick to pull up and a needle nose players to get a grip and pull.
Calwaterbear
Thanks for the help guys. I was indeed the inner metal "skeleton" of the original seal, marks tip of using a dental pick did the trick, came out slicker than snot on a brass door knob!

Now for the real challenge, I'm removing / replacing the dash top. been at it off and on for 2 days, so far I've got one nut off!

I am a bit "overchallenged" as i just had my knee replaced 3 weeks ago, so I'm not particulalry adept at manuvering into tight contorted spaces, but I'll keep after it!
bkrantz
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 1 2021, 07:04 AM) *

I'm sure you are looking at the old metal from the old seal that pinched onto the lip.

The new seal will sit on the welded lip or you can over center it by cutting it about 1/8" longer than needed and walking it down from the sides. Not there is a beveled cut needed on both sides to make perfectly flush, bur it looks good and will not promote rust.

You can remove the old metal with a dental pick to pull up and a needle nose players to get a grip and pull.

Like this?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.