Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Use this Cylinder?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
justme
So I got these AA's with a car about 10 years ago. Looks like they were mocked up but never ran.

In an effort to get my long stalled project back on the road I pulled the heads & cyl from the original tired 1.7

I have included the original condition before I cleaned up the rough edged with a little emery work

Doesn't overlap with the piston travel and I'm building another motor so this doesn't need to last forever, and I'm cheep and don't want to buy another set of 96's for this tired old gal.

What do you (experts) think???

Thanks folks!
justme
Here's the bad 1
justme
Another
burton73
NO. If you have to ask.

Bob B
SirAndy
There was a time in my life when i would not have hesitated to use that cylinder.

Heck, in my dirt bike racing days, i even "fixed" a burnt through hole on top of the piston (running lean on purpose) by putting a round top carriage bolt though the hole and double nutting the back. Worked like a charm.
wacko.gif

Jonathan Livesay
Mocked up with a BFH?
worn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 31 2021, 03:49 PM) *

There was a time in my life when i would not have hesitated to use that cylinder.

Heck, in my dirt bike racing days, i even "fixed" a burnt through hole on top of the piston (running lean on purpose) by putting a round top carriage bolt though the hole and double nutting the back. Worked like a charm.
wacko.gif

Maybe they would be OK, but what happened to it!? Also, it is nice to know that our fearless leader is so fearless!
justme
Can only guess what happened to it. Dropped from the Empire State Building?

Anyway, I'm only hoping to get 1-2k miles out of it and hopefully without metal digestion:)

And other than respect for German design & engineering , I won't need this motor when the one I'm building goes in.

WTF, I can show off a vent-a case if the bet goes bad huh.gif
BENBRO02
QUOTE(justme @ Mar 31 2021, 09:24 PM) *

Can only guess what happened to it. Dropped from the Empire State Building?

Anyway, I'm only hoping to get 1-2k miles out of it and hopefully without metal digestion:)

And other than respect for German design & engineering , I won't need this motor when the one I'm building goes in.

WTF, I can show off a vent-a case if the bet goes bad huh.gif

Sounds like a fun experiment. biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Or just post WTB one cylinder in the classifieds. That way when you finish the other engine you will have a spare under the work bench for the next project
At minimum check it with a bore gauge.
Superhawk996
So what was the point of the post?

confused24.gif
Krieger
I've seen this done on high performance engines to help airflow within the engine case. It is done strategically and to all cylinders.
914sgofast2
QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 1 2021, 07:45 AM) *

I've seen this done on high performance engines to help airflow within the engine case. It is done strategically and to all cylinders.

April Fool!
justme
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 1 2021, 04:48 AM) *

confused24.gif

Sorry if it wasn't as relevant as all of your 2500 posts in the last 2 1/2 years pray.gif

Just wanting to get the teener back on the road this summer:)
justme
QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 1 2021, 06:45 AM) *

I believe Bruce Anderson documented it in his 911 Performance book too. Seeing as mine wasn't too strategic, I probably won't post dyno #'s
r_towle
QUOTE(justme @ Apr 1 2021, 09:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 1 2021, 06:45 AM) *

I believe Bruce Anderson documented it in his 911 Performance book too. Seeing as mine wasn't too strategic, I probably won't post dyno #'s

Before I would go further, get a bore gauge and see if it’s round.
If it’s round, and it’s not scored up inside, go for it.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(justme @ Apr 1 2021, 09:16 PM) *

confused24.gif

Sorry if it wasn't as relevant as all of your 2500 posts in the last 2 1/2 years pray.gif

I apologise, it was an bootyshake.gif clown comment. Just seemed to me that you already had your mind made up that you were going to use it even if the engine popped in as little as a few thousand miles.

Good advice here from other people more productive than my comment was.
justme
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 1 2021, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(justme @ Apr 1 2021, 09:16 PM) *

confused24.gif

I apologise, it was an bootyshake.gif clown comment. Just seemed to me that you already had your mind made up that you were going to use it even if the engine popped in as little as a few thousand miles.

Good advice here from other people more productive than my comment was.

No worries 996,
As wrenching is just a hobby I do value others opinions. Like alot of us the car won't be a daily and there's another engine on the way:)

beerchug.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.