Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best material to patch a cracked dash?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeKopf
I've been researching restoring a cracked dash on YouTube and they seem to use a preponderance of different patching materials.

Bondo
Fiberglass resin
Sugru (mold-able glue)
Crazy Glue

Is there a prescribed approach that the general community uses to patch large cracks in the top dash pad?

Thanks.

George
roblav1
I removed my dash, sanded it, then covered it in leather. The cracks weren't that wide, so the leather covered them well. I bought the sewn leather cover from a UK seller on ebay. It was the nicest leather I ever worked with.
bdstone914
They make an ABS dash cap that snaps over the original. costs about $125. If the cracks are too high they have to be ground down.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Apr 1 2021, 08:18 AM) *

I removed my dash, sanded it, then covered it in leather. The cracks weren't that wide, so the leather covered them well. I bought the sewn leather cover from a UK seller on ebay. It was the nicest leather I ever worked with.

Any leads on who that seller was?

Sounds like a interesting & appealing alternative to the dash toppers. Would also be more affordable than paying a local upholstery shop to develop and sew a custom pattern!
beech4rd
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 1 2021, 12:16 PM) *

QUOTE(roblav1 @ Apr 1 2021, 08:18 AM) *

Any leads on who that seller was?

Sounds like a interesting & appealing alternative to the dash toppers. Would also be more affordable than paying a local upholstery shop to develop and sew a custom pattern!

Perhaps this:-

https://www.ebay.com/c/681062740
roblav1
Yup, that's them. Prices went up substantially since I bought it!
Costa05
Illustration of the cheap fix with grained vinyl from fabric store. Wish I had filled the cracks though as they reflected through. Rethinking it I would filled cracks with bondo glass filler then sand it down.
Click to view attachment
Mikey914
I'll look to see if we can make something.
I'm sure it can be done for less than that.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 1 2021, 03:14 PM) *

piratenanner.gif

Would live something like that.

I love the leather visors you did for me. But the skin wasn’t cheap!

I’d love to be able to get a dash kit like that from you.

I think a one off pattern, skin, sewing, and professional install would set me back $800 - 1k at my local upholstery shop that does high quality custom work.
mate914
That would be great... A nice leather cover with stitching matching steering wheel. The way they should have come. My .02 cents..... actually my last .02 cents....
Matt
roblav1
Here:
mepstein
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Apr 1 2021, 06:39 PM) *

Here:

That looks great.
Coondog
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 1 2021, 12:14 PM) *

I would have said

“ The Best way to fix a cracked dash is with a New Dash from 914 Rubber “
first.gif first.gif first.gif first.gif
mate914
QUOTE(roblav1 @ Apr 1 2021, 06:39 PM) *

Here:

That's it!
I have the same wheel, just yellow momo.
Can I ask where you had that done?
Matt
roblav1
I installed it, a real pain in the arse too. And it's not perfect. The glue started to set.
But I would do it again for the look, feel, and smell.
BIGKAT_83
Had mine done a few years ago. The guy that did it was great he charged me so little I gave him twice what he asked. Best deal I ever made on the car.
Click to view attachment
930cabman
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Apr 2 2021, 01:36 PM) *

Had mine done a few years ago. The guy that did it was great he charged me so little I gave him twice what he asked. Best deal I ever made on the car.
Click to view attachment

Great looking job, could you share his name?
thank you, JohnG
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.