Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggestions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pursang
I am looking for a way to secure that rubber soundproofing pad that fits against the passenger wall in the engine compartment. Those metal tabs at the top seem pretty useless. It looks like some adhesive might have been applied with a tube at some time but the years and the engine heat have broken that seal.

I was thinking about small bolts and grommets through those metal tabs but I am afraid that they would eventually just rip through the pad. Would you apply adhesive again and, if so, what brand? Any other ideas? confused24.gif

Thanks.
bbrock
QUOTE(Pursang @ Apr 1 2021, 05:21 PM) *

I am looking for a way to secure that rubber soundproofing pad that fits against the passenger wall in the engine compartment. Those metal tabs at the top seem pretty useless. It looks like some adhesive might have been applied with a tube at some time but the years and the engine heat have broken that seal.

I was thinking about small bolts and grommets through those metal tabs but I am afraid that they would eventually just rip through the pad. Would you apply adhesive again and, if so, what brand? Any other ideas? confused24.gif

Thanks.

It is supposed to be attached with large plastic buttons that insert into the firewall about 1/3 of the way down on the pad. Napa has them. Part number is 665-3116. The tabs just keep the top of the pad snug to the firewall but don't hold it up.
bkrantz
You might hear lots of push back on mounting the original pad or (or any pad) since it tends to trap water and accelerate rust. Whatever you do, make sure water can drain out the bottom.
rbzymek
I found that the 3M spray adhesive works well in that application. Just spray the metal and the back of the pad. Once it gets tacky set in place.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 1 2021, 08:20 PM) *

You might hear lots of push back on mounting the original pad or (or any pad) since it tends to trap water and accelerate rust. Whatever you do, make sure water can drain out the bottom.

agree.gif

I also worry that it will fall down and block the engine fan, leading to catastrophic overheating of the engine.

So I just insulate on the inside.

Clay
mepstein
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 2 2021, 12:04 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 1 2021, 08:20 PM) *

agree.gif

I also worry that it will fall down and block the engine fan, leading to catastrophic overheating of the engine.

So I just insulate on the inside.

Clay

Ben had an issue on a six conversion when the engine side pad blocked off airflow and made the engine run hot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.