Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Tank Sender
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cairo94507
Hi guys,

Pretty sure they are all the same for all years, but can someone confirm that for me? My sender seems to be "sticking" off and on so I want to replace it with a new one. Does Porsche still offer these NOS?

Thanks all.
Michael beerchug.gif
mepstein
I believe they are all the same.
They can be rehabbed.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 2 2021, 12:45 PM) *

Hi guys,

Pretty sure they are all the same for all years, but can someone confirm that for me? My sender seems to be "sticking" off and on so I want to replace it with a new one. Does Porsche still offer these NOS?

Thanks all.
Michael beerchug.gif

Yes

But don't let them sell you a 911 sender as a replacement. It is shorter, and your gauge will show empty when it actually has more than a 1/4 tank.
Cairo94507
Cool, thanks guys. I will try to rehab my sender first. If that does not make a difference, a new sender it shall be. beerchug.gif
windforfun
You can still buy a brand new Bosch rig for about $150 on the internet.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 2 2021, 05:28 PM) *

Cool, thanks guys. I will try to rehab my sender first. If that does not make a difference, a new sender it shall be. beerchug.gif

There’s a thread on here from a couple years ago. I believe it comes apart at the bottom.
914Sixer
Just put it a tall container with some lacquer thinner. Let stand for a while. Take it out and shake it. Repeat several times. Then move side to side on the horizontal. You should be able to hear float move back and forth. You will be good to go as long as the float is not bad.
Cairo94507
Great tip. I will definitely give the lacquer thinner a try.

But first....I need to be at EASY at 6:30 am apparently tomorrow. Sure glad I did the LED headlight conversion. I promise I will try to take pictures. beerchug.gif
Costa05
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 2 2021, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 2 2021, 05:28 PM) *

There’s a thread on here from a couple years ago. I believe it comes apart at the bottom.

There are two super thin wires that the float rides up and down on. Clean those two wires carefully with a q tip and lacquer thinner. The two wires act like a variable resistor sending signal back to gauge. Multimeter it for bench test.
Retroracer
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 2 2021, 05:20 PM) *

Great tip. I will definitely give the lacquer thinner a try.

But first....I need to be at EASY at 6:30 am apparently tomorrow. Sure glad I did the LED headlight conversion. I promise I will try to take pictures. beerchug.gif

6:30am?? Good grief......

- Tony
PanelBilly
I bought a new one from Sunset Porsche after screwing around with the original
Cairo94507
OK. I will likely order a new sender, regardless.

@Retroracer - Yeah, 0630....... I was less than excited to hear that too. But here it is 0500 and I am up, showered, coffee in my cup and getting ready to put the top on for the ride to EASY. My dog didn't even get up when I did. beerchug.gif
mb911
I need a new sender had a little run out of gas issue this week. mad.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 3 2021, 05:30 PM) *

I need a new sender had a little run out of gas issue this week. mad.gif

@Betty has never run out of gas. Every time her car gets really low on gas she makes me drive.
Cairo94507
Hi Guys - Just to add, a new sending unit from Porsche (Gaudin in Las Vegas) is $321 and the base gasket is $5.00. But they are both available. I will order today.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.