Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 123 Distributor Curve Needed For Stock 1.8 L-Jet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brian Fuerbach
I received my distributor today from the group buy and cant wait to install and program it. I asked Ed if he had a program for the 1.8 and he sent one for a 356/912 that he said would get me started so that is what I plan on using until I figure this thing out.

Does anyone here have a tested program for the 1.8 L-jet they would like to share. I have searched 914world and the internet without success. I would like to use vac advance but can tackle that later on.

The distributor number is 022 905 205AA.

Thanks, Brian
74 sunflower 914
I have a 1.8 now bumped to 2056 but the injection is mostly stock L-jet (deceleration valve recently removed/rerouted as the diaphragm was leaking). Here is the curve I use with the 123 bluetooth distributor:

500 = 9
1100 = 10
2300 = 25
3500 = 29
8000 = 31
My new motor likes to idle at 1100 on the inside tach, though the 123 app reports a lower RPM reading than the car's tach so maybe it is more like 1000., In any case I just started the steeper curve at 1100.

I think you can use a pretty straight curve from idle to redline with the most advance around 30. Mine was pinging when set above that. I'm not sure you will even need the vacuum advance with the programmable curve, but since mine is still connected I set it to about 1/2 the advance of what the initial default curve was on my 123. I am not sure if it is correct but it seems to work ok and not have that much effect except at mid range rpms and light throttle.

0 = 0
29 = 0
30 = 5
50 = 5
87 = 0
100 = 0
200 = 0

Once you have the 123 installed you can see what the vacuum advance is doing in real time on the phone app display. It's also very easy to adjust the curve and save curves so start conservatively (27-28 max advance) and increase it from there. There are some good tips in the thread on the first 123 group buy as well.

pete000
This is what I ended up with on my 74 1.8 L-Jet. No vacuum.
Brian Fuerbach
Thanks for the replies. I took a stab at programming the curve before seeing your replies and got it up and running yesterday. Really impressed with how clean the engine revs and idles. I ended up pretty close to both curves above with the exception of having all the my timing in at 3100 instead of 3500rpm. I may change that today.

One problem I am having is that when I come to a stop the rpms take a bit to settle down. The engine will idle at 1200 then settle to 850 after about 15 seconds. Any thoughts on that? Did not do this with stock distributor.
Click to view attachment
pstank
Thanks for posting curves! I too have a stock 1.8 L-Jet and was looking myself. I will be watching to see if any more are put up.

Not changing the subject but I thought I would add that I had to put my red wire to the neg. and the black to positive on my coil for my car to start and run. Not sure if this is normal but it did not work the other way around and I saw no mention of this issue on here in my searches.
Brian Fuerbach
QUOTE(pstank @ Apr 5 2021, 12:32 PM) *

Thanks for posting curves! I too have a stock 1.8 L-Jet and was looking myself. I will be watching to see if any more are put up.

Not changing the subject but I thought I would add that I had to put my red wire to the neg. and the black to positive on my coil for my car to start and run. Not sure if this is normal but it did not work the other way around and I saw no mention of this issue on here in my searches.

That makes no sense. Give Ed a call and let us know.

I tested yesterday and drove over 90 miles. I will post the curve and vac maps later. I used the published curves for the stock distributor at the max range values. My car has never run so strong.
Brian Fuerbach
Current maps. I played with and without vac advance. Smother with.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Brian Fuerbach
QUOTE(Brian Fuerbach @ Apr 5 2021, 03:18 PM) *

Current maps. I played with and without vac advance. Smother with.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

I tested again tonight with and without vac advance. I also used a wideband AF meter. The program with vac advance has better response and bottom end than without. No change in AFR.

If you are not using the vac advance feature I would suggest that you experiment. The overall drivability is remarkable on my setup. It feels like I just had a top end rebuild.

Just as a note, My stock distributor was in excellent condition and had the correct curves as far as I could tell using a timing light to verify. The 123 really woke up my engine.
pstank
Brian, I am going to load your latest map and give it a try once it stops raining. My last drive the car pulled hard from idle to 4k like never before. It feels like a new car! That said, it hits a point about 4600 where it feels like it is misfiring or hitting the soft rev-limiter. That map had my limit set at 5600.
Brian Fuerbach
QUOTE(pstank @ Apr 9 2021, 08:43 AM) *

Brian, I am going to load your latest map and give it a try once it stops raining. My last drive the car pulled hard from idle to 4k like never before. It feels like a new car! That said, it hits a point about 4600 where it feels like it is misfiring or hitting the soft rev-limiter. That map had my limit set at 5600.

I also have the rpm’s limited to 5600 and did feel it start to miss once when passing on a two lane road. I did not look at the tach but it was still pulling hard so I did not think I was that high in rpm. Maybe I was? Never happened again during the next hour and a half of driving and I redlined more than a few times. May move to 5800.

Hard to say what may be causing the misfire. Are your plug wires fresh? Leaning fuel mixture could cause a hesitation that feels like rev limiting. The only way to know is to use a wide-band air fuel meter. Are you using original fuel injection or carbs?
nivekdodge
I know this is an old thread but, does anyone have a curve for a 1.8 with carbs?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.