Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh-Oh melted wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Had not started the car (73 1.7 w/ FI) for about a month. Since new vacuum hoses and injectors seals are now on, I would give it a go. Turned the key, fuel pump buzzed like always. Turned the key to start and nothing. Starter did not turn. Turned key on and off about 3-4 times with no results. I look in the engine bay and Ive got smoke (not a lot) coming from around the distributor. Looking closer, I fried the black/purple wire connected to the neg side of the coil about 6" back from its connector and the wire inside of the distributor from the points to the condenser connection. Figured the points and condenser are toast and have installed new parts.
Before I try to start the car again and destroy anything else, any ideas on why this may have happened?
When I first started the car about 4 months ago after it had been sitting for years, someone suggested giving the starter solenoid a whack with a hammer. It actually worked.
That was my next move before I saw the smoke.
Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks.
Pls confirm wire hook up to the coil. Black/purple to neg terminal and red/black to pos?

EJP914
JeffBowlsby
Black purple to negative is right.

Is the 12 pin connector misunderstood to the relay board?
EJP914
I checked the connector on the board twice. It lines up with the pins
windforfun
Being a retired EE, I feel badly for you. I wish you the best in your debugging quest!!!
rjames
QUOTE(EJP914 @ Apr 3 2021, 06:44 PM) *

I checked the connector on the board twice. It lines up with the pins

The one nearest the firewall on the ‘back’ of the relay board?
Had to ask because that’s exactly how I fried the ground wire in my distributor a few years back.
mate914
Might what to change coil also. Check all grounds, because electricity will make one if it has no clear path.
Matt..
EJP914
I will check the connector at the back of the board. Thought it was all lined up.
I am planning to try another coil as the one that was in the car when this melt down occurred was just some plain jane coil I bought at the local auto parts store. Don't know if it was damaged.
EJP914
In follow up to my melted wiring dilemma, I checked all of the plugs on the relay board. They were good. Installed a different coil. Connected the condenser wire and the red/black wire to the + terminal on the coil. Spliced a new piece of wire on the black/purple wire where it melted and connected it to the - terminal on the coil. Put in new points and condenser. Turned the key to the first position. Had power at the + - wires on the coil although the ones on the + terminal were warm. Thought I smelled something burning. Took off the distrib cap and found the wire between the points an condenser was fried. The black/purple wire was ok this time.
Can someone please tell me why this is happening? Car started and ran fine a month ago.
Desperate for help! Willing to pay someone close to help me fix this. I hate electrical problems.Thanks
EJP914
jcd914
QUOTE(EJP914 @ Apr 5 2021, 08:15 PM) *
Connected the condenser wire and the red/black wire to the + terminal on the coil.

This is the mistake.
The condenser connects with the tach wire to the negative side of the coil.

Jim
EJP914
Thanks Jim. Stupid mistake on my part. Have to start labeling things. Memory not as good as it used to be.
Ed
mate914
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 5 2021, 11:43 PM) *

QUOTE(EJP914 @ Apr 5 2021, 08:15 PM) *
Connected the condenser wire and the red/black wire to the + terminal on the coil.

This is the mistake.
The condenser connects with the tach wire to the negative side of the coil.

Jim

Nice catch.
Matt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.