Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gear identification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
Pretty sure these are the original #4 & #5 gears that were taken out on a rebuild at a clinic 5-6 years ago or more now, and now i am going to go back to original oem ratio ,
so would also like to know if these look good?

another question is can i change this out myself with no special tools? i don’t remember much from that experience as it was a few years back
so mike @drevil @evilwerks please chime in,

5th gear in the car now is a flipped 3rd making it like a 5.5- just not good foe keeping fan spinning and cooling correctly, RPMs too low unless you want to drive 85-90 lol!!!

so what do i need to pull those last 2 gears off the stack and put these back on?

Phil
DRPHIL914
huh.gif icon_bump.gif

no one?
Al Meredith
Count the teeth a ZD 5th is 31/22 a 0.710 ratio a flipped N (3rd) is a 22/31 a 1.409 ratio.
DRPHIL914
thanks Al, so those do count out as stock 4th and 5th gear sets so those are going back into the transmission, to return to stock ratio.
I am pretty sure now looking at the charts that i went with a HA flipped for 5th which lowered that ratio from .710 to .59!, and 4th is x , so that went from the .93 stock V to X.85 so you can see how big of a gap that took it too, now i have to say i really like the current 4th for cruising around where the speed limit is 55-60, before i always felt like i was in between, meaning that the 4th felt too low and f5th too high for proper speeds and rpm for around here, and i might consider putting the stock V back in at 4th but a Y or Z for 5th but either of those might not be affordable options , as some gears are rare
so most likely itl just got back to stock.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 5 2021, 02:04 PM) *

thanks Al, so those do count out as stock 4th and 5th gear sets so those are going back into the transmission, to return to stock ratio.
I am pretty sure now looking at the charts that i went with a HA flipped for 5th which lowered that ratio from .710 to .59!, and 4th is x , so that went from the .93 stock V to X.85 so you can see how big of a gap that took it too, now i have to say i really like the current 4th for cruising around where the speed limit is 55-60, before i always felt like i was in between, meaning that the 4th felt too low and f5th too high for proper speeds and rpm for around here, and i might consider putting the stock V back in at 4th but a Y or Z for 5th but either of those might not be affordable options , as some gears are rare
so most likely itl just got back to stock.

I always say that the gear set you changed to is not good for anything but large 6 and V8. I’ll have to send people that want to debate to this thread wink.gif

You will need a deep 30mm, breaker bar, shift fork alignment jig, 32mm boxed end wrench, dog teeth puller/installer. So, a few special tools and a few tools that many don’t have but you can get. The dvd is available for download and will walk you through it. Check my website at EvilWerks.com and then let me know if you need me to do it smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.