Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is DTM necessary for a 2056 build?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeKopf
I've been researching the 2056 engine build and the Type 4 Store has a bundled DTM (Down The Middle) cooling system.

Is this necessary or just marketing cruft?

https://lnengineering.com/type-4-store/engi...ersion-kit.html

Thanks.

George
mepstein
Not needed for your average 2056.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 4 2021, 10:50 AM) *

Not needed for your average 2056.

agree.gif I'm not knocking Jake's setup, but it's not even needed on my 2270 where my heads almost never hit 300 with stock setup. Nor did I need it on a 2056.

Now the oil... idea.gif
73-914
QUOTE(GeorgeKopf @ Apr 4 2021, 11:46 AM) *

I've been researching the 2056 engine build and the Type 4 Store has a bundled DTM (Down The Middle) cooling system.

Is this necessary or just marketing cruft?

https://lnengineering.com/type-4-store/engi...ersion-kit.html

Thanks.

George

This setup is for a Type 1 VW
VaccaRabite
The DTM is not for a Type 1.

It is a Type4 cooling system designed to be more efficient then the stock system.

That said, for a 2056 is should be totally overkill unless you are making the motor into a high CR monster - and if you are doing that you probably know that you need it already and have spent a ton on parts. If memory serves it was designed for 2.5L+ motors that Jake was building back in the day that had thin cylinders and needed all the help they could get cooling.

Zach
Krieger
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Apr 5 2021, 05:55 AM) *

It is a Type4 cooling system designed to be more efficient then the stock system.

That said, for a 2056 is should be totally overkill unless you are making the motor into a high CR monster - and if you are doing that you probably know that you need it already and have spent a ton on parts. If memory serves it was designed for 2.5L+ motors that Jake was building back in the day that had thin cylinders and needed all the help they could get cooling.

Zach

IIRC Jake acquired the DTM business. He did not design it.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 5 2021, 09:33 AM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Apr 5 2021, 05:55 AM) *

Zach

IIRC Jake acquired the DTM business. He did not design it.

agree.gif

i just read the history on LN website, Jake bought the rights to the name along with the molds etc, but not the Oregon Performance Products company,
in 2003. It was created and designed by Joe Locicero.
73-914
If you click on the original link you will see it's for a type 4 motor in a Type 1 car
craig downs
I have one with my 2270 and it keeps it cooled very well. It averages 275 and 300 under heavier load like climbing a hill.

Mark Henry
QUOTE(73-914 @ Apr 5 2021, 10:37 AM) *

If you click on the original link you will see it's for a type 4 motor in a Type 1 car

This is what the DTM was originally made for by OPP, type 4 engine into type one VW bug conversions.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.