Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 with fuel washed cylinders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944
Hi all. I have a ‘74 1.8 that was rebuilt about 4 years ago. Big bore kit, Webcam, and 40 Weber’s added at that time. The car never ran as strong as expected and was rich all of the time. I took it to a local trusted shop who found the cylinders fuel washed and carb jets with issues (they are the Spanish ones from a respected vendor). One jet even had some metal shavings inside where it looked like it was drilled out without cleaning.

A new set of pistons and cylinders were put in and the carb jets replaced and reinstalled. Again it didn’t have the power expected, and now has very low compression. Probably no more than 20 miles on the engine since then. I bought a faucet fuel pump from the original engine builder to use when the engine was first put back in the car. I have lots of questions about my problem I hope the group can help with, but a specific one on the fuel pump. Do I need to add a fuel pressure regulator to keep pressure at 3.5 or less that seems to be recommended here? I’m concerned the pump is dumping too much fuel.

Appreciate any suggestions and input!

Thanks in advance
930cabman
Fuel washed cylinders are never good. What is your fuel pressure? air/fuel ratio? compression currently
brooks944
The car is still at the mechanic. I’m told compression is around 30 for each cylinder. Don’t know the fuel pressure or the air/fuel ratio. How do you measure the A/F ratio?

Thanks for your help,
Rick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.