Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 2.0 1973
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
theghoul
Hi! nice forum - mainly have the front engine Porsches, but am helping a friend with a 914 2.0 he bought that had a single carb conversion, and I believe it is best to go back to the fuel injection. He has an extra motor with fuel injection but not sure it is a 2.0. Has the ECU- I know it needs to be a 13 or 14 and dont know that yet. He has the wiring and the intake tubes and injectors - any pitfalls to this job? Any info is appreciated! thanks, theghoul
Arno914
https://jetronic.org/en/
BeatNavy
Here's another resource that's 914-specific: https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm. It will help you determine which components you have by PN and/or appearance.

If there's a single carb on there it's probably safe to assume they never cracked open the case and put a non-FI friendly cam in there.

First "pitfall' I can think of is that you really need to source the components from same year setup. While 2.0 FI D-Jet is largely the same across the years, there are a couple of significant differences. You can put a '73 2.0 D-Jet on a '74, for example, but you mainly want to ensure that key components match up together -- primarily ECU, MPS, and CHT (but also throttle body and distributor). That link above has that info. Make sure the distributor is also D-Jet compatible for the year. It needs to have the trigger points and trigger point connection.

Another thing is just making sure the individual components are serviceable. I'd consider sending out the injectors for cleaning/testing and doing individual tests on things like the MPS and CHT.

Getting the vacuum lines hooked up properly can be a little fun, too, based on the little idiosyncrasies of different parts/setups. Same thing with fuel lines. You'll need a high-pressure FI fuel pump -- either stock 3 port or simplified, new 2-port. Jeff's site has great reference info here: https://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/TechNotebook.htm

I'm sure there's more...but I think it's a worthwhile effort (hopefully). Properly functioning D-Jet is a great, reliable system, but it does take time and effort to get the gremlins out of a 50 year old setup that may have been hacked around a bit.
rick 918-S
welcome.png best move is to go back to FI. When I did 7 of 9 I sent the engine harness to Jeff Bowlsby and had him test and repair it. He can fix any bad or brittle wires and install all new boots. takes all the guessing out of trouble shooting any issues with the rest of the system.
burlybryan
Helpful info here. I'm doing the same thing to my carb converted 74 2.0 and recently acquired all the FI components from a running 74.
mepstein
If I had a four I would switch it to PMB's new FI system.
burton73
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 5 2021, 08:52 AM) *

If I had a four I would switch it to PMB's new FI system.

Eric says this is the set up

Bob B
MikeM
Does anyone have a link to more info on Eric's system?
Thanks.
mepstein
QUOTE(MikeM @ Apr 5 2021, 02:10 PM) *

Does anyone have a link to more info on Eric's system?
Thanks.

I would contact PMB. They have always been very responsive to me.
theghoul
All great info- thanks - will reiinspect all the parts involved - I hope the extra engine is from a 73 or 74! thanks, theghoul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.