Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing 914rubber's ver. 1 MC the Easy Way
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
These weren't on the market but a short time as some thought them to be a PITA to install. But when Mark had a Fire Sale on these for $68 I snatched one up. Last week I noticed a spongy pedal, saw a brown dot on the garage floor then found the paint peeling beneath.

Click to view attachment

The main complaint regarding these MC's was how difficult it was to insert the supplied tubing into the MC with the supplied washers. After 3 different hacks I found the most effective, easiest and quickest method was also the most simple. Here is a pic of the 2nd best option. I turned down a piece of aluminum stock with a recessed step. A 9/16" socket was almost perfect but would have required turning down a bit.

Click to view attachment

I was surprised at the amount of force it required to press the tube and cup seal in. Plus I had to massage the sides of the cup seal inward as it wanted to expand laterally with any downward force. I used a HF screwdriver to massage the washer. It was smooth and slightly rounded on the bench grinder to protect the washer from cutting into it. When installing the 2nd tube I used the screwdriver only. By slowly walking the flat edge of the screwdriver around the edge of the washer I was able to seat it in less than one minute. Just be sure to lubricate the washer with some brake fluid. Once the seal is flush you can push the seal down so it is slightly recessed with the tip of screwdriver. Don't forget to smooth off the square edges of the screwdriver with a file or grinder.
Before installing the MC use a heat gun to put a small bend in the rear hose. Otherwise it will get pushed against the bulkhead and end up cockeyed. I used the lowest setting on my heat gun and held it ~10" away until the tube began to flex then held in place sit cooled.

Click to view attachment

And with the aid of a few zip ties I used the same method to train the tubes where they travel beneath the fuel tank.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Sounds like it was the tubes to be the main issue. Also looks like you pretty solved the installation woes, nicely done!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.