Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Checking power to the starter. Battery is connected and key/ignition is on at the first position. I have power to the big black wire. But the big red wire and the smaller one that clips to the solenoid (yellow one?)are dead. My 12 voltage check light does not come on. What makes power to those two wires? Does the car need to be running to light them up? Trying to figure out why some of my wiring melted. Thanks for the help.
Ejp914
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(EJP914 @ Apr 5 2021, 08:07 PM) *

Checking power to the starter. Battery is connected and key/ignition is on at the first position. I have power to the big black wire. But the big red wire and the smaller one that clips to the solenoid (yellow one?)are dead. My 12 voltage check light does not come on. What makes power to those two wires? Does the car need to be running to light them up? Trying to figure out why some of my wiring melted. Thanks for the help.
Ejp914

The yellow wire only has power when the key is in the start position. That is what makes the engine crank. The smaller red wire should be connected to the same stud as the big heavy black wire. The red wire comes from the alternator and is used to charge the battery. It won't have power on it unless the engine is running.

Clay
Mark Henry
The small red wire will be live if the battery is connected. smile.gif

One thing you want to check is all the grommets, where the wires goes through the metal. Without the proper grommets the sharp metal hole can cut into the wire causing a big short. Check the wire itself, where it goes through the metal and confirm that the plastic covering is not cut.
EJP914
Thanks Clay and Mark.

I have been having distributor/points issues (melting points wire) and had the wrong wires connected to the coil. I had the condenser wire to the + terminal instead of to the - side. I think(?) when I get the wires in the right place that should get me power to the yellow wire at the solenoid. Maybe? I hope.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 6 2021, 12:08 PM) *

The small red wire will be live if the battery is connected. smile.gif

I was assuming that the wires are disconnected.

I am fairly good with electrical things, but I don't get how the alternator can have power on the charge terminal if it isn't hooked to the connection on the starter where the battery cable is hooked.

Or are you assuming they are already hooked up correctly?

Clay

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.