Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: damn vacuum leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dax1969
I was so close on solving the last vacuum leak and created another one sad.gif
All hoses, injector seals etc replaced and while doing the "spray test" with brake cleaner I noticed that the connecting rubber on cylinder nr 3 was bad. Replaced the four connecting hoses and installed new intake manifold gaskets. Did the spraytest again and it all looks good on the connecting rubbers but now I have a leak on the intake manifold on the passenger side. pffft. Intake gaskets are new and installed them dry...ordered another new one but should I put some sealant on ? Somebody suggested to add a paper gasket as well but I see no reason why, the new intake gasket should do the job I guess. Idle is at 1200 rpm and can't get it lower due to that bloody leak

any suggestions ?

thks in advance

Dax
Mark Henry
I grease my intake gaskets, I just rub in enough to stain the gasket.

You can make a cheap DIY smoke machine out of a paint can, cheap soldering iron, hose and some minerial oil. Look for a how to on youtube.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(dax1969 @ Apr 6 2021, 07:19 AM) *

All hoses, injector seals etc replaced and while doing the "spray test" with brake cleaner I noticed that the connecting rubber on cylinder nr 3 was bad. Replaced the four connecting hoses and installed new intake manifold gaskets. Did the spraytest again and it all looks good on the connecting rubbers but now I have a leak on the intake manifold on the passenger side. pffft. Intake gaskets are new and installed them dry...ordered another new one but should I put some sealant on ? Somebody suggested to add a paper gasket as well but I see no reason why, the new intake gasket should do the job I guess. Idle is at 1200 rpm and can't get it lower due to that bloody leak

any suggestions ?

thks in advance

Dax

i guess just make sure both surfaces are clean but i have never used any sealant on those things, and i have not had a leak there either, but maybe you have a bad one or a warped intake flange? 1200 not too bad, but you should be able to get it to 900-1000 with correct timing, might need a bit of tune at the MPS if thats been rebuilt, you could be lean and that could also cause the hunting idle.

Phil
dax1969
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 6 2021, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(dax1969 @ Apr 6 2021, 07:19 AM) *

any suggestions ?

thks in advance

Dax

i guess just make sure both surfaces are clean but i have never used any sealant on those things, and i have not had a leak there either, but maybe you have a bad one or a warped intake flange? 1200 not too bad, but you should be able to get it to 900-1000 with correct timing, might need a bit of tune at the MPS if thats been rebuilt, you could be lean and that could also cause the hunting idle.

Phil

Thks Phil,
I cleaned up both surfaces (like I did on the other side). Car has a 123 ignition and timing has been set at 27 btdc. The car fires right up, goes to 1800 rpm and after the AAR closes (checked by removing the hose to the airbox and it stops sucking after a few minutes) the idle goes to 11/1200 rpm... no hunting, steady idle but can't get it lower. Car drives fine. When installing the gasket I noticed it was a bit warped...assumed that it wouldn't matter and would come straight after tightening the bolts. If I spray some brakecleaner on the topside of the intake manifold the idle goes down. Anyway, I ordered a new intake gasket and I will give it another try. 11/1200 rpm isn't too bad but I like things to be right biggrin.gif

thks again to all your feedback

cheers
Dax
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.