Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV axle thread problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mayne
Hi all, I'm reassembling my rear suspension on my 75. I thought I got the castellated nut on the CV started on okay, so like a dumbass, I hit it with my impact. Didn't feel right so I back it off and now the first several threads are screwed up. What are my chances of cleaning this up with a die? Also, from what I can find, it seems the size is M24x1.5. Does that seem right? Any other suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!
914werke
IMO unless you have a M24x1.5 die just kicking around huh.gif it'd probably be cheaper to replace the stub.
Bartlett 914
You can get a thread file. McMaster carr has one.
Thread file
Olympic 914
there is a thread file you may be able to use to clean the threads.

Did this on my gas tank threads to clean out the old aluminum that came off the nut when I removed it.

or careful use of a small triangle file.
robkammer
I agree, if you've got patience and a little luck the file route is the first thing to try. Unless it's really buggered beyond salvage.
Good luck!
914werke
QUOTE(Mayne @ Apr 6 2021, 10:31 AM) *
I hit it with my impact.
popcorn[1].gif
bdstone914

Hi all, I'm reassembling my rear suspension on my 75. I thought I got the castellated nut on the CV started on okay, so like a dumbass, I hit it with my impact. Didn't feel right so I back it off and now the first several threads are screwed up. What are my chances of cleaning this up with a die? Also, from what I can find, it seems the size is M24x1.5. Does that seem right? Any other suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

I would replace the stub axle and nut. You probably pulled the threads on both
I have a bucket of stub axles and wil sell one with a good nut for $10 plus $8 shipping.

@Mayne
Mayne
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 6 2021, 02:04 PM) *

I would replace the stub axle and nut. You probably pulled the threads on both
I have a bucket of stub axles and wil sell one with a good nut for $10 plus $8 shipping.

@Mayne

This sounds like the proper solution. Let me know where to send PayPal. Thanks!
76-914
Cheap lesson. We've all done something similar to that at one point or another. Tire Monkey's are famous for it. You won't know it until you need to remove a tire and find a lug nut cross threaded all the way down. ar15.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.