Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voltage regulator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Morph914
From the looks of my voltage regulator, it appears that it has been wet. So to be on the safe side, I think I should replace it. Is there a way to test these?

Do I have to find one with the same #s or is there a range of regulators that will fit?

Thanks in advance,
John

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Warren914

My car has a Wells VR650.
Direct solid state replacement.
914Sixer
Be careful on reproductions, they do not always fit right. Some are prone to early failure.
Mark Henry
My rebuilder swears by the old points style regulators, he even opens them and adjusts the points. He's not a fan of the solid state regulators.
johnhora
Nothing wrong with that one...they all look like that on the bottom side after years of use. That's a good one from Bosch with Germany mfg
try it out and see if you're getting approximately 14v at about 1k rpm
you can take the tape (usually yellow) off and open it up and check the inside if you want.
What I have found testing them is that some get hotter than others...don't touch that rusty part after it is running if will flat burn you...
I think this is why so many of the relay boards are cracked in this are on the bottom and why there is a slot below the regulator to help cool the area.
I found the new Bosch solid state ones to run cooler.
I have a couple used Bosch ones listed if you need an extra one.
Morph914
QUOTE(johnhora @ Apr 8 2021, 11:58 AM) *

Nothing wrong with that one...they all look like that on the bottom side after years of use. That's a good one from Bosch with Germany mfg
try it out and see if you're getting approximately 14v at about 1k rpm
you can take the tape (usually yellow) off and open it up and check the inside if you want.
What I have found testing them is that some get hotter than others...don't touch that rusty part after it is running if will flat burn you...
I think this is why so many of the relay boards are cracked in this are on the bottom and why there is a slot below the regulator to help cool the area.
I found the new Bosch solid state ones to run cooler.
I have a couple used Bosch ones listed if you need an extra one.

Thank you, I’ll test this one out like you said.

I found this one on line but the #s are not quite the same. It says it will work on a 914... it says NOS

Cheers,
John

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Sure is nasty to be NOS. Stick with the one you have.
Morph914
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 9 2021, 06:24 AM) *

Sure is nasty to be NOS. Stick with the one you have.

Will do
johnhora
Seems like I remember that the last two digits in the PN are sometimes different.
They were usually made in Germany Spain and Brazil.
Used on VW , BMW, MB and probably other makes.
Same part.
pcdarks
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 8 2021, 11:24 AM) *

My rebuilder swears by the old points style regulators, he even opens them and adjusts the points. He's not a fan of the solid state regulators.

Points burn and oxidize Electromagnetic coils burn out. Solid state is much more precise and dependable. Time to move into the 21st century.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.