Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 50th Anniversary basket case Resurrection - Beginner’s Course
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MM1
I would like to feel the handling of the car as it left the factory in 1973 (1.7L) - I wish I could compare the factory 155 with tires to the 185‘s that are on it now versus 195s or even 205 so if I were lucky enough for them to fit without any fender pulling or rolling.

Having said that, my questions are these:

My OEM tire rods are shot-a quick search proves they are fairly pricey (compared to the turbo tire rod kit on sale ) and I’ve heard some of you say how turbo tire rods completely transform the steering of the car-for those of you who might appreciate the experience of progressing from the factory set up to the turbo, would you just get new OEM tie rod ends or do you feel the improvement of the turbo setup is great enough to skip the oem experience out of the gate?

I just picked up a set of turbo tire rod ends here that a veteran said should boat ride up to the Oem set up, but it looks to me like the turbos are female while the oem tie rod ends are male so they can screw into the adjustments sleeve. Also the turbo’s look far too long and have no castellated nut. What are your thoughts?

Any advice/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Krieger
You bought turbo tie rod ends. They bolt up to turbo tie rods not the stock 914 tie rods. You need the complete turbo tie rod kit. I do not like the lack of a cotter pin but the holes in the nuts are oblong and lock that way. One of my tie rod ends has that nut and hasn't fallen off since I installed as a replacement several years ago.
ClayPerrine
If that is all you got for the turbo tie rod kit, well... you didn't get a turbo tie rod kit.

They are both inner and outer joints. This is what the kit should look like.

IPB Image

You have just the outer tie rod ends for turbo tie rods.

Clay

MM1
Thanks, Gents - one of our fellow ‘Teeners asked some veterans here if the turbo tie rod end he wanted to sell would fit the oem 914 setup and there was a reply of “yes” from a well-respected frequent poster. That was good enough for me.

No problem-whenever I get the turbo tie rod kit I guess I’ll have an extra set of ends.

If you guys had to do it over and started with your first 914 would you replace the OEM tire rod ends or just cut to the chase with a turbo tire rod kit?
MM1
QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 6 2021, 11:34 PM) *

You bought turbo tie rod ends. They bolt up to turbo tie rods not the stock 914 tie rods. You need the complete turbo tie rod kit. I do not like the lack of a cotter pin but the holes in the nuts are oblong and lock that way. One of my tie rod ends has that nut and hasn't fallen off since I installed as a replacement several years ago.

So Andy, if the holes on the nuts are oblong does that mean they’re hard to get on-feeling as if they were cross-threaded a bit?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(MM1 @ Apr 6 2021, 11:52 PM) *

Thanks, Gents - one of our fellow ‘Teeners asked some veterans here if the turbo tie rod end he wanted to sell would fit the oem 914 setup and there was a reply of “yes” from a well-respected frequent poster. That was good enough for me.

No problem-whenever I get the turbo tie rod kit I guess I’ll have an extra set of ends.

If you guys had to do it over and started with your first 914 would you replace the OEM tire rod ends or just cut to the chase with a turbo tire rod kit?

I would put the turbo tie rod kit on the car. Betty and I have 3 914s, including an original six. All have the turbo tie rod ends on them.

Clay
MM1
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 6 2021, 11:56 PM) *

QUOTE(MM1 @ Apr 6 2021, 11:52 PM) *

I would put the turbo tie rod kit on the car. Betty and I have 3 914s, including an original six. All have the turbo tie rod ends on them.

Clay

Thanks for the advice, Clay.

Is there any particular brand/vendor that you can recommend based on your experience?
914Sixer
Go with Lemforder IF you can find them. Not cheap.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 7 2021, 06:46 AM) *

agree.gif
Cairo94507
Yup. No need to experience the new stock 914 tie rods. Lemforder is the go-to kit. beerchug.gif
Krieger
QUOTE(MM1 @ Apr 6 2021, 09:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Apr 6 2021, 11:34 PM) *

So Andy, if the holes on the nuts are oblong does that mean they’re hard to get on-feeling as if they were cross-threaded a bit?

IIRC the nuts start out easy then tighten up a little. No big deal.
tygaboy
Marcus - If the tie rod ends don't work out (i.e. you can't easily get the rest of the Turbo tie rod kit parts separately), let me know and I'll send you a refund.
Sorry, for the confusion.
Chris
MM1
Thank you, Sirs - I appreciate you having me save money (spent to experience "originality") by spending more!- lol.

Really - do I need to experience 155 tires? Probably did that as a passenger in a 356 over 15 years ago and didn't realize it (nothing like the feel through the wheel though).

Thank you, Chris - no need, I'll just keep them - I could start a thread asking for a used partial turbo tie-rod kit , but probably will just hold them until someone else here needs a quick, cheaper replacement.

Again, I (We) appreciate your guidance!

pray.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 7 2021, 03:46 AM) *

agree.gif Yes - pay the bucks & go with Lemforder, whether stock or turbo tie-rods.

My fav handling suspension upgrade are the old school Koni Reds for rear shocks & front strut inserts - which were a legit 914 option back in the day. I like them better on my `73 2L than the Bilsteins, & much better than were the OE stock Boge.

Also, if your suspension bushings are old, crusty, worn, etc. - then you should replace them "while you're in there" to get everything tightened up again. Use "Street" level busing sets - unless you're going to track or AX the car. Unfortunately there aren't any factory nor OEM bushings now, but several good aftermarket ones are available from Pelican, PMB, AA, 914 Rubber, & the other usual 914 sources - including in the OE style rubber for street use.

The item OP mentions is OE tires, vs. new - I've recently done an update on the expanded availability now of the OE tires 155/80R15 in SR (1.7), 165/80R15 in HR (2.0) or SR (1.8), & 185/70R15 in HR or VR as the OE 914 optional upgrade tire.

Porsche has now even given their N rating to Michelin XAS & Pirelli CN36 in those sizes for our 914s again, so I guess we're "back in the Porsche fold" now. biggrin.gif

O&H Tires & Wheels nailed topic - updates start at post #387 -
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...4857&st=380

For anyone looking for 914 tires, there are now a lot of choices in all price ranges again as well.

MM1 -

PS - Hope to see your 914 at the PCA-SBR Concours this Fall when things get to semi-COVID-normalcy - which IIRC will be close to you in Thousand Jokes or Westlake again this time (2020 was off all year). Just come to display or just to see the P-cars, if you don't want to enter.

Here's a TO building you'll know that I designed back in the late 1970s, while driving my `73 914-2.0 without AC up there from OC weekly or more during the 90-100 degree summers! blink.gif

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
^ for Rob

Good Luck & driving.gif
Tom
///////
MM1
Thank you for the insight (and the great tire thread link), Tom!

I believe @Pete000 prefers the Koni’s - not sure about the red part though.

I suspect I’d prefer the reds in the canyons, but with no anti-roll bars, it might not be so fun . . . front bar is on the list.

Appreciate the invite - not a member of PCA - but perhaps after I am a “driving” Porsche owner . . .

Marcus
Shivers
155, 165 and 185's, each was better than the last. But 205's fit with out touching the fenders. And what a difference. Go right to the turbos, it just gets rid of the slop designed into the stock ones.Click to view attachment
iankarr
You may find this helpful...beginning at about 6:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnuYLbZ89y8
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.