Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel / crank end play
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adolimpio
I finished building my engine, which uses a 2.0 crank in a 1.7 case.

My crank end play is 0.0125 without any shims.

I've seen that you should use a minimum of 3 shims, but even a single smallest shim puts me at the edge of spec - 0.0125 - .00945 = 0.003.

Is this OK?
Did I do something wrong assembling?
Bleyseng
Did you set the end play before installing the rear main seal?
adolimpio
Yes, seal is not installed yet.
adolimpio
Problem solve, it was caused by the DACO.

I'm always very organized when I disassemble something so that things remain together and don't get lost.

When I removed the fan, I placed the 3 bolts through the spacer and inserted the bolts into the front of the fan, and that's exactly how I reinstalled it. Rather than the spacer being between the fan and the crank, it was in front of the fan causing the space between the fan and fan housing to be reduced, limiting the movement of the crank.

I'm definitely a DA, and only hope that I did not make other stupid mistakes that are more serious!
02loftsmoor
I'm replacing the Flywheel .
i have Three .010" shims in, and i have .012" end play. what do i need to change??
iankarr
The shims are available in a range of sizes. You'll need to calculate which thicknesses are needed to arrive a total end play of .003 - .005. Remember this is expressed in thousandths of an inch. It's confusing because the shims are sold by the dimension in mm. It's best to order a variety so you have them on hand when you're sorting it all out. You can always return the unused ones. They're not expensive regardless.
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(iankarr @ Apr 8 2021, 10:02 PM) *

The shims are available in a range of sizes. You'll need to calculate which thicknesses are needed to arrive a total end play of .003 - .005. Remember this is expressed in thousandths of an inch. It's confusing because the shims are sold by the dimension in mm. It's best to order a variety so you have them on hand when you're sorting it all out. You can always return the unused ones. They're not expensive regardless.

where do get cheap shims? i saw some for $34 ,, $8 seems he going rate
iankarr
Wow...just checked the type 4 store. You're right...7 bucks each. Sheesh. I wonder what happened to crank those up.

Alright then...Put two of your existing shims in and measure. Calculate the end play with those two shims and subtract .004 thou (your target play). If that number is less than .015 (or .38mm...which is the thickest one available), you may only need to buy one shim, depending on where that number falls in the available thicknesses. Make sense?

Depending on what number you come up with, I may have one in my stash that you can have...
Mark Henry
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Apr 8 2021, 10:47 PM) *

i have Three .010" shims in, and i have .012" end play. what do i need to change??

So you need .038" worth of shims to get .004" end play, a combo of shims like .012" + .012" + .014" = .038" will work.
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 9 2021, 10:56 AM) *

QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Apr 8 2021, 10:47 PM) *

So you need .038" worth of shims to get .004" end play, a combo of shims like .012" + .012" + .014" = .038" will work.

thank you for the tip!! shims on order
Mark Henry
When you get the shims be sure to test fit first. You must be sure that your measuring and my maths are correct.
smile.gif
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 10 2021, 07:13 AM) *

When you get the shims be sure to test fit first. You must be sure that your measuring and my maths are correct.
smile.gif

will do, I had a hard time wrapping my head a round this, thanks every one for the help ..
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(iankarr @ Apr 9 2021, 09:53 AM) *

Wow...just checked the type 4 store. You're right...7 bucks each. Sheesh. I wonder what happened to crank those up.

Alright then...Put two of your existing shims in and measure. Calculate the end play with those two shims and subtract .004 thou (your target play). If that number is less than .015 (or .38mm...which is the thickest one available), you may only need to buy one shim, depending on where that number falls in the available thicknesses. Make sense?

Depending on what number you come up with, I may have one in my stash that you can have...

I didn't know about your videos , dang watching them now !!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.