Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Emergency brake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tsvo
Hello, my emergency brake no longer has any resistance on the lever when you pull on it. It does not lock or engage the brake. Where do I start to find the issue?

Regards,
Terry
Dave_Darling
Check to see if the cables are still attached to the arms on the rear brake calipers.

--DD
tsvo
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 7 2021, 07:45 PM) *

Check to see if the cables are still attached to the arms on the rear brake calipers.

--DD

Thank you Dave. I will start there.
pcdarks
You have a single cable about 8 inches long that then splits and pulls left and right. This is located under the drivers seat and is easily accessible once the seat is out. there is a plate covering it with two small screws.The other ends go directly to the rear calipers.
tsvo
QUOTE(pcdarks @ Apr 7 2021, 08:02 PM) *

You have a single cable about 8 inches long that then splits and pulls left and right. This is located under the drivers seat and is easily accessible once the seat is out. there is a plate covering it with two small screws.The other ends go directly to the rear calipers.

Thank you for the details. I will give it a look.
Olympic 914
May also need to set the air gap on the pads.

If its too large your parking brake won't work.
tsvo
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Apr 8 2021, 06:51 PM) *

May also need to set the air gap on the pads.

If its too large your parking brake won't work.

Thank you, I will check that as well.

One more question, besides the brake cable wire, what is the second wire under the driver's seat?
tsvo
QUOTE(pcdarks @ Apr 7 2021, 08:02 PM) *

One more question, besides the brake cable wire, what is the second wire under the driver's seat?
tsvo

--DD

bdstone914
QUOTE(tsvo @ Apr 8 2021, 05:27 PM) *

--DD

The cable runs from the end of rhe handle the the equalizer at the firewall. Skider the seat forward and see if it is intact
Spoke
Did the ebrake ever work or is this a new issue?

tsvo
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 8 2021, 07:58 PM) *

I removed the seat. The cable from the brake looked good. I wiggled it around a little and the brake works fine. Kind of concerns me so ce I didn't really do anything.

While under there I found this second wire, what is it? Fasten seat belt sensor? It wasn't attached to anything. It was just kind of stuck in the hole on the floor near the base of the brake. Perhaps it was interfering?
bbrock
QUOTE(tsvo @ Apr 8 2021, 06:08 PM) *

I removed the seat. The cable from the brake looked good. I wiggled it around a little and the brake works fine. Kind of concerns me so ce I didn't really do anything.

While under there I found this second wire, what is it? Fasten seat belt sensor? It wasn't attached to anything. It was just kind of stuck in the hole on the floor near the base of the brake. Perhaps it was interfering?

Maybe the wire to the brake light switch? Is it brown?
tsvo
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 8 2021, 08:51 PM) *

Yes, it is brown.
bbrock
QUOTE(tsvo @ Apr 8 2021, 07:04 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 8 2021, 08:51 PM) *

Yes, it is brown.

Sounds like the wire that should run to the contact switch that the e-brake handle pushes down and rests on when it is off.
Dion
Visual aide
tsvo
QUOTE(Dion @ Apr 9 2021, 05:41 AM) *

Visual aide

That is absolutely it. Mine is not connected. Seems to be broken. What issue will this create?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tsvo @ Apr 9 2021, 06:25 AM) *

That is absolutely it. Mine is not connected. Seems to be broken. What issue will this create?

There is a big red light in the left hand gauge that is supposed to flash when the park brake is engaged. That is the wire for it. It should go to a switch that gets depressed when you lower the handle.

It is the same basic switch as the door jam switches for the interior lights. They are inexpensive and can be picked up from your favorite parts pusher vendor.
tsvo
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 9 2021, 06:55 AM) *

QUOTE(tsvo @ Apr 9 2021, 06:25 AM) *

There is a big red light in the left hand gauge that is supposed to flash when the park brake is engaged. That is the wire for it. It should go to a switch that gets depressed when you lower the handle.

It is the same basic switch as the door jam switches for the interior lights. They are inexpensive and can be picked up from your favorite parts pusher vendor.

Thanks for the info. That is what it is. The light is now on, never was before. Where do you gain access to replace the switch?
BeatNavy
If you look in Dion's second pic above you can see the switch is mounted right into that metal cross member on the floor pan and then grounded to the chassis. Get a replacement switch and insert it into that square shaped hole on the metal cross member. Then make sure the wire is grounded either by connecting it what's left of the original wire or doing it in a manner similar to what Dion did.

Just to be clear, the e-brake is a mechanical setup, though. In and of itself this isn't causing the original issue you described (unless pieces of your switch are interfering with operation somehow).
tsvo
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Apr 9 2021, 07:30 AM) *

If you look in Dion's second pic above you can see the switch is mounted right into that metal cross member on the floor pan and then grounded to the chassis. Get a replacement switch and insert it into that square shaped hole on the metal cross member. Then make sure the wire is grounded either by connecting it what's left of the original wire or doing it in a manner to what Dion did.

Just to be clear, the e-brake is a mechanical setup, though. In and of itself this isn't causing the original issue you described (unless pieces of your switch are interfering with operation somehow).

Thank you Rob, I will get the new switch. Your second comment is what I am still concerned about. I really didn't do anything and now the e brake works. I will replace the switch and have to wait and see if I have any further issues with the e brake down the road.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.