Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roll bars/half cage installs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Luke M
My brother wants to add a half cage to his 914. Any info from anyone running one would be greatly appreciated. Pro's and con's that you may have experienced?
Weld in or bolt in.. Either way works for us but leaning towards welding it in.
TIA..

beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
Racer Chris isn't too faŕ from you.
IIRC McMark was doing GT kits, nice one that contoured the firewall. But that was a long time ago.

If it's a part time racer street car you want to be able to use the stock seat belts, the 5 points are a PITA for every day use.
Luke M
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 8 2021, 06:49 AM) *

Racer Chris isn't too faŕ from you.
IIRC McMark was doing GT kits, nice one that contoured the firewall. But that was a long time ago.

If it's a part time racer street car you want to be able to use the stock seat belts, the 5 points are a PITA for every day use.

Mostly a street car but some auto-x time as well. I pm'd Mark about his cage.
Think he was planning on a 5 point harness anyways.
tygaboy
I vote weld in. I helped a buddy with his bolt-in GT bar and didn't like the way it forced the bar to be set forward - you give up some room.
Given that, you can't go wrong with @ChrisFoley products, assuming you don't want to fab your own.
I went a bit non-traditional with my design as I didn't want a full main hoop and did things like relocating my seatbelt retractors so I'm not sure these pics help but maybe will give some ideas. I call it "the roadster cage".
VegasRacer
Maybe these pictures will help. Photos are not my car. I have a full cage.
Racer
One of my 914s had a Safety Devices cage. It was welded in, but they are bolt in/weld in friendly.

Street car.. Used for DE/Autocross.

Biggest gripe? Made taking the roof on and off a bit more PITA.. and more often than not, I just left the top in place

Ran both harnesses and factory belts.

No door beam supports like some of the above have. Not sure how much that actually helps in an impact.. or if they would bend in and cause more harm than good. Remind me of the "pro Street" type 1/4 miile cars with albeit rule complying but curious designs.

A half cage/ merely a rollbar hoop I also wonder how much rigidity is added to the chassis vs the additional weight.

I had some pictures on an old photobucket site.. not sure if I they are still accessible..

http://www.safetydevices.com/motorsport/pr...+Spec/451/1276/

The other issue you will notice is that room to swing your feet in and out is cut down with a 4/6pt cage.
Steve
My Autopower roll bar.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...;showentry=1018
Shivers
I think one of these half cages would be perfect. With the foam is it streetable? Or is it a headbanger
Luke M
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Apr 8 2021, 07:58 AM) *

Maybe these pictures will help. Photos are not my car. I have a full cage.

Something like the last two pics. My brother is 6'01'' so he needs the leg room.
I'm waiting to hear back from McMark.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(Shivers @ Apr 8 2021, 08:25 AM) *

With the foam is it streetable? Or is it a headbanger

Yes. it is streetable. Yes the foam really helps.
The only time I bang my head is when I am working on the car. Never during regular use.

QUOTE(Luke M @ Apr 8 2021, 08:42 AM) *

Something like the last two pics.

That car belongs to @1stworks
infraredcalvin
I have a safety devices bolt in cage that was welded in by PO. The supports that go diagonal to the center hump (like the gt) limit race seat travel. Ok for me, but I’m short at 5’8”. I’d be concerned about leg room at 6’0”. I’ve seen versions that don’t have the center diagonal.

Also, the bar in front horizontal is set rearward from the top of windshield (assuming they did it so it wouldn’t interfere with lid latches). Being short, my seat is moved forward, which puts that horizontal bar near my head, my helmet grazes the pad. I lowered my seat by cutting out the floor cross support and it’s fine now, but not a mod I would want to make on a nice car...
tazz9924
Weld in cages are always preferable to bolt in from a safety stand point, and like chris said you get more room. If you cant find any prebent stuff it probably wouldn’t cost much to have a reputable shop make a half cage. especially if you strip the stuff out the way. If it hasn’t been mentioned your back pad will be sacrificed.
mlindner
Mine is a user friendly cage extended to suspension points. MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Luke M
A full cage is out at this point. Leaning towards Mark's cage with maybe a tweek or two to it. Like this one but with some bent side supports to make it easier to get in/out. Seams like the seat would be able to go back a little farther.

@McMark
bkrantz
Whatever you get, buy some real roll bar padding for anything near your head. Not the cheap open cell split foam tubes.
Tdskip
Even "just" a weld in rear hoop makes a noticeable difference.
Justinp71
Plan your harness mounting along with putting in your half cage. Many times they tie together or may need to not interfere with each other. Might as well plan for racing seats too, they all need to work together.

The half rollbar I have allows the driver seat to go all the way back which is important for me at 6'0". I need to upgrade my padding to the harder SFI stuff. The half rollbar itself its probably not really needed, but makes be feel better incase of a roll at track events.
LefthandRev
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Apr 12 2021, 11:42 AM) *

The half rollbar I have allows the driver seat to go all the way back which is important for me at 6'0".

And what brand is it?
mlindner
Also 6' and seat gos back all the way. I did just last winter moved the front bar six inch closer to the front wind shield. Best, MarkClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
If he wants a full cage, let me know...my brother took his out.
DC area...

I sold my roll bar a couple years back.
Justinp71
QUOTE(LefthandRev @ Dec 10 2023, 09:42 AM) *

The half rollbar I have allows the driver seat to go all the way back which is important for me at 6'0".

And what brand is it?

It came with my car so not entirely sure but I think its an autopower. The other thing though is this one bolts to the floor pan, it kind of interferes with the e-brake, still works but not as good. I think one that sits on the longs is better.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 11 2021, 12:22 PM) *

Even "just" a weld in rear hoop makes a noticeable difference.

@Tdskip with what, chassis stiffness?
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Dec 11 2023, 06:09 PM) *

QUOTE(LefthandRev @ Dec 10 2023, 09:42 AM) *

And what brand is it?

It came with my car so not entirely sure but I think its an autopower. The other thing though is this one bolts to the floor pan, it kind of interferes with the e-brake, still works but not as good. I think one that sits on the longs is better.

Yes AutoPower , they had a "Petty bar option" ... diagonal brace to right front passenger compartment... Band by POC, passenger intrusion.
ssstikircr
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
beerchug.gif needs x bar to be legal these days..
Tdskip
One of my 914’s has a rear bar in the interior that goes from side to side behind the seats, it makes the body noticeably stiffer in terms of flex, and provides a more solid and better handling car in my opinion.

You can get that without a roll bar with some of the Stephanie kits that are signed to be invisible under the carpets however.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.