Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV bolt reuse
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
I will be pulling my transmission this weekend to replace the throw out bearing and also to open up and put back the stock 4&5 gears. Right now i have the bolts that are drilled out for being safety wired, and i was planning on ordering the new washers and wire, but reusing the bolts. from what i have read this seems to be ok acceptable practice.

- gaskets, grease, cone screws, wire , washers , throw out bearing, cup retainer and guide--- clutch disc has about 7500 miles on it and i feels just fine so unless i get in there and find issues i will probably not change it out. Flywheel pressure plate and disc were done at the same time -that was 9 years ago when i rebuilt the transmission at the Dr. Evil clinic- i am currently leak free,

anything else supply wise i need?

Phil
mepstein
It's fine to reuse the bolts.
IronHillRestorations
Yes the CV bolts are reusable. I install without the washers, just tight enough to cinch up the gasket, and then go back and one at a time remove the bolts and put on a new schnoor washer
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 8 2021, 11:57 AM) *

It's fine to reuse the bolts.
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Apr 8 2021, 03:19 PM) *

Yes the CV bolts are reusable. I install without the washers, just tight enough to cinch up the gasket, and then go back and one at a time remove the bolts and put on a new schnoor washer

awesome! thanks for the replies.
Mark Henry
I only toss CV bolts if the drive is buggered.
cary
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Apr 8 2021, 04:13 PM) *

I only toss CV bolts if the drive is buggered.

What he said ..............
914werke
agree.gif but toss & replace the Schoor washers every time. They are slightly conical as well as serrated, so once tightened they loose their locking effect
Dave_Darling
Frankly, if you are wiring them then you might not even need new Schnorr washers.

That said, it won't hurt to have new washers. But I view proper safety wiring as better than any Schnorr washers.

--DD
914forme
Safety Wire, is how I fixed my issue with CV Joint bolts, but then I was autoxing the car every weekend, and I hated DNFs from lack of preparation. If something would affect the run, I would fix it before the next run or weekend.

Lost 3 CV bolts on a run, safety wired all of them ever since.

Lost a coil wire once, added a loop to hold it onto the coil.

List went on and on....
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 9 2021, 09:58 PM) *

Safety Wire, is how I fixed my issue with CV Joint bolts, but then I was autoxing the car every weekend, and I hated DNFs from lack of preparation. If something would affect the run, I would fix it before the next run or weekend.

Lost 3 CV bolts on a run, safety wired all of them ever since.

Lost a coil wire once, added a loop to hold it onto the coil.

List went on and on....

although i had never had an issue before, when i put new CV’s on when installing the motor and transmission after restoration 3 years ago, i bought the bolts that were drilled for safety wiring and been good so far, and i was hoping to just reuse these , bought new wire and washers for when we reinstall the transmission next week, if all goes as planned
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.