Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finding Oil Leaks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brian minson
Hey guys I have three leaks under my T4 2.0 engine, seems to be pushrod tubes but maybe not.

I have used the engine oil dye in my non-Porsche cars over the years with success but didn't know if there were any tips or tricks to tracking down my oil leaks in the Type 4.

Suggestions or etc?

Brian smile.gif

porschetub
QUOTE(brian minson @ Apr 9 2021, 07:55 AM) *

Hey guys I have three leaks under my T4 2.0 engine, seems to be pushrod tubes but maybe not.

I have used the engine oil dye in my non-Porsche cars over the years with success but didn't know if there were any tips or tricks to tracking down my oil leaks in the Type 4.

Suggestions or etc?

Brian smile.gif

My method has always worked for leaks,get the engine fully clean underneath then place a sheet of white cardboard under the motor,run up to temp without driving,the oil leaks will show up on the cardboard and give a reasonable indication of the source.
I used this method on my 911 engine and found many of the leaks weren't where I thought they were.
Good luck.
ctc911ctc
I chased a leak for years - guys on this board said to drop motor and replace all seals. I ignored them and even went through the pain of replacing the oil cooler seals WITHOUT dropping the engine. We should award a badge to those who have done this. (grease on the wrench to get the gasket in place and having it drop in your face.....5 times)

Finally, I pulled the engine, Cleaned the heck out of it (first drop for the car) replaced ALL of the seals (front/back/tubes/cooler/oil-pressure) and while I was at it I opened the tranny and replaced sync rings.....down shifting to first is a true joy now.....

I have not had a leak or a drip or a seep in 9 months......ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Feels so good I am having a beer! beer.gif beerchug.gif beer3.gif coffee.gif silver914.jpg

QUOTE(brian minson @ Apr 8 2021, 02:55 PM) *

Suggestions or etc?

Brian smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.