Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Column "Spacer" removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moldygreg
Hi all-

The car is 1973 and had a "caged" momo accordian boot- style adapter attached to the component pictured below (yellow circle) which I have removed.

I cannot figure out how to remove the hub/spacer circled below. Subsequently, I cannot address wiper and turn signal switches, let alone put stock steering wheel on.

I suspect it is attached to the circlip on the steering shaft, but cannot access it currently.

I do not see it listed in the exploded diagrams. And I know there is differnce between late and early steering columns.

1- is this a 'stock' component or have you seen this part before
2- if so, how do I remove?
3- what am I missing?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks
Greg
SirAndy
Never seen this before, i'd guess not stock.
idea.gif
mepstein
It's not stock. I would try giving it a good tug and see if you get and movement.
You can put the nut on loosely so if it does give, you don't fall backwards.
moldygreg
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 8 2021, 01:52 PM) *

It's not stock. I would try giving it a good tug and see if you get and movement.
You can put the nut on loosely so if it does give, you don't fall backwards.

OK cool -- good to know. Somone CNC'd a real nice insert. May just cut the thing off.

Superhawk996
Steering wheel hub puller would be what I'd use given the photos you're showing without the steering wheel attached.

Other alternative is to reinstall the steering wheel to it so you have something to grip. As Mark said, put the nut on and wiggle & tug. Without the nut you're likely to smash it into your face when it finally comes loose to the column splines.
Chris914n6
Looks like an adapter for an aftermarket steering wheel. I think I see a 6 bolt hole pattern. I should pop with some force like a steering wheel would. Spray lube, a few minutes to propagate, and a rubber mallet hopefully will do it. Otherwise it's a trip to the parts store for a wheel puller tool.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Apr 8 2021, 06:28 PM) *

Steering wheel hub puller would be what I'd use given the photos you're showing without the steering wheel attached.

Other alternative is to reinstall the steering wheel to it so you have something to grip. As Mark said, put the nut on and wiggle & tug. Without the nut you're likely to smash it into your face when it finally comes loose to the column splines.

agree.gif re-assemble the cage and wheel to the un-familiar grey disc affair.
Do as Mark said, put the nut onto the shaft a few turns to prevent dental work, black eyes, broken nose, etc.etc.
moldygreg
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Apr 8 2021, 03:32 PM) *

Looks like an adapter for an aftermarket steering wheel. I think I see a 6 bolt hole pattern. I should pop with some force like a steering wheel would. Spray lube, a few minutes to propagate, and a rubber mallet hopefully will do it. Otherwise it's a trip to the parts store for a wheel puller tool.

Got it with a jaw puller. Thanks all
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.