Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Faulty Hazard Switch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
black73
When I connect the loose wire (49a?) and pull the switch it smokes the flasher. With the wire disconnected the turn signals work, but not the indicators, and of course, no four way. Also, I seem to have an extra wire. Where does it go? TIA.

Car is a 73 1.7

Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Here is the switch circuitry.

Check the schematic for your wiring.
Spoke
There's been some modification of the wires. The blue crimp connections are not stock. You'll need to follow all the wires in question and make sure they're correct.
black73
Thanks guys. I have verified that the blue crimped wire on the flasher is the heavier wire on the blue crimped spade connector and that it sends 12 volts to the flasher when it's connected and the switch is on. I still need to figure out what the other wires do, where they go and why the flasher is shorting. I suspect the switch was/is bad and this creative wiring was just a work around so the turn signals would work, but will verify before I start buying parts.

I will dig a little deeper and see what I find. Thanks again!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
something is grounded somewhere it should not be. The switches rarely fail. We have over 200 used ones and hardly ever sell one just to give you an idea. I would check the front turn signal buckets to make sure they are properly plugged in and then make sure that you have installed the correct turn signal relay, and then look for non stock wiring and or ground attachments. 914 wiring harness are quite bullet proof if not fooled with

black73
So George was correct, the left rear side marker bulb was shorted to ground. Changed the bulb, no more short. I still have some wiring to figure out, but a least I got that part done.

The culprit...

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(black73 @ Apr 15 2021, 11:31 AM) *

So George was correct, the left rear side marker bulb was shorted to ground. Changed the bulb, no more short. I still have some wiring to figure out, but a least I got that part done.

The culprit...

Click to view attachment

@black73
how was it shorted to ground, was it the socket corroded, the bulb or wiring connections?

Phil
black73
I presume the bulb shorted internally. Connections were fairly clean and the wiring wasn't damaged. It took some time for me to track it down and isolate the problem. I have never seen a bulb do that and apparently the person that hacked up the wiring had not seen it before either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.