Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Window seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
QKENUF
Trying to go to bare metal on a 1976, to prep for painting. Would like to remove the seal around the triangle door window for ease of cleaning and painting. Not willing to go to the trouble to totally remove the window frame and mechanicals. The question is; "How hard is it to remove and replace that seal without breaking it?" Pic shows window with pencil under the end of the seal. Would appreciate any help.

Click to view attachment
dt4
QUOTE(QKENUF @ Apr 9 2021, 06:07 PM) *

Trying to go to bare metal on a 1976, to prep for painting. Would like to remove the seal around the triangle door window for ease of cleaning and painting. Not willing to go to the trouble to totally remove the window frame and mechanicals. The question is; "How hard is it to remove and replace that seal without breaking it?" Pic shows window with pencil under the end of the seal. Would appreciate any help.

Click to view attachment

I doubt you can remove it without first taking the frame out
remove the lot, its not that big a deal
QKENUF
OK, I will give it a go. Do you remember the first two steps.

Thanks for the response.
bbrock
Remove the plastic cap on top of the triangle window. Pull the top of the triangle forward toward the front of the car to remove it from the seal. Remove the seal. Done.
QKENUF
Well that sounds pretty easy. I was not sure if that top plastic cap was part of the seal or not. Thanks.
bbrock
QUOTE(QKENUF @ Apr 9 2021, 11:59 AM) *

Well that sounds pretty easy. I was not sure if that top plastic cap was part of the seal or not. Thanks.

The plastic cap is separate from the seal and held on by one or two phillips scews. The fun part will be putting that little window back in. Not a fun job.
dt4
QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 9 2021, 08:05 PM) *

The plastic cap is separate from the seal and held on by one or two phillips scews. The fun part will be putting that little window back in. Not a fun job.

which is why I think its easier to take the frame out, there is a nut (13mm IIRC) on the inner door panel (the door card needs to be removed) and a couple of phillips screws underneath the door
Dave_Darling
Ian Kerr has a good YouTube video on installing the window guts and frame and such. Removal should just be the opposite of installation, to mangle a Haynes manual quote.

--DD
bbrock
QUOTE(dt4 @ Apr 9 2021, 12:12 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 9 2021, 08:05 PM) *

which is why I think its easier to take the frame out, there is a nut (13mm IIRC) on the inner door panel (the door card needs to be removed) and a couple of phillips screws underneath the door

I'm not sure about that. The seal is wedged in pretty tight to the door. It's easy to get the triangle back in the seal on install. The hard part is hammering that seal down without the triangle popping back out. I've never tried pulling one out with the window in place but I'd personally feel safer pulling the glass first. I do agree the whole mechanism should come out for a bare metal respray. I think it would save time in the long run.
Mikey914
Here's my how to -
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...gle+window+seal

The pics should help

Also have new ones if you need them as well as other items you may want

https://914rubber.com/search/?q=triangle

Mark
QKENUF
I talked to Kenzie about your "914 Late Rubber Package". Are these seals in that package?
Mikey914
They are actually in the Door package,
https://914rubber.com/late-door-kit-for-porsche-914-1
It even has the rollers for the scissor mechanism in this one.

So you don't have to buy the more expensive package to get them.

We did at one time have them as an add on to the main kit. I'm not sure if Blake has it set up so that you can buy them together (the seals outside the kit and main kit) to get a discount but I'm sure we could set that up if not. It did drop them down to $79.

Mark
QKENUF
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Apr 10 2021, 06:45 AM) *

They are actually in the Door package,
https://914rubber.com/late-door-kit-for-porsche-914-1
It even has the rollers for the scissor mechanism in this one.

So you don't have to buy the more expensive package to get them.

We did at one time have them as an add on to the main kit. I'm not sure if Blake has it set up so that you can buy them together (the seals outside the kit and main kit) to get a discount but I'm sure we could set that up if not. It did drop them down to $79.

Mark

Thanks for the data point. Very helpful and I will be contacting you shortly.

Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.