Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tool of the day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Superhawk996
Had to do this job on my 1st teener with just a pipe wrench, a hammer, and a chisel. Those were the days that made me aspire to get an education and a better job . . . so I could afford better tools.

This time around life is way easier. Soaked with PB blaster for couple days in advance.

Baum P280B arrived today. Stupid expensive but sure makes life a breeze.

Heavy duty impact resistant. Fit perfectly. Zap with Impact gun. Done. No drama. piratenanner.gif

Can't recommend it strongly enough. Retainers undamaged and perfectly reusable so count that as $30-$40 offset toward tool purchase.

Click to view attachment

Deep enough that if the teeth ever get buggered up, there is still meat there that could be faced off on a lathe.

Click to view attachment
Shivers
Very nice
mepstein
Yep. The right tool makes all the difference. Jimmy T on pelican makes a socket that's a work of art and very reasonably priced.
pilothyer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 9 2021, 07:35 PM) *

Yep. The right tool makes all the difference. Jimmy T on pelican makes a socket that's a work of art and very reasonably priced.

I just got one of those from Jim Tidwell, a work of art and perfect fit without any play. Fine man there, the only way to get it from him
is send him your address, he will not accept payment until you are happy with it.
mepstein
QUOTE(pilothyer @ Apr 9 2021, 08:59 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 9 2021, 07:35 PM) *

I just got one of those from Jim Tidwell, a work of art and perfect fit without any play. Fine man there, the only way to get it from him
is send him your address, he will not accept payment until you are happy with it.

And a pleasure to buy from. You don’t pay until you receive the part and are satisfied.
Dave_Darling
Wow, that is a lot more beefy than the ball joint sockets I've seen! Those were fragile enough that you didn't want to remove the nut with them; it seemed like putting any impact through them would just shear the pins that keyed into the slots on the nut.

I'll have to look for that the next time I think about taking that area apart on either of our cars.

--DD
mepstein
I purchased one of Jimmy’s sockets, used it on 3 sets of rusty a arms and it shows no wear. I use a 1/2” impact gun and keep the trigger down until the nut cries mercy. It fits the slots perfectly so the retainer rings don’t get damaged.
pilothyer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 11 2021, 03:07 PM) *

I purchased one of Jimmy’s sockets, used it on 3 sets of rusty a arms and it shows no wear. I use a 1/2” impact gun and keep the trigger down until the nut cries mercy. It fits the slots perfectly so the retainer rings don’t get damaged.

All this for less than $54.00 shipping included. You can't beat that. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.