Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog Light Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhenry1075
Hey everyone, so I purchased new fog lights for the car, but after rummaging around in a box of parts the previous owner (my father) provided with the car I found a set of driving lights. I have no idea if these are original or not, but I wanted to try and use these if I can. The problem I have is, if you look at the light (pic attached) there is no ground wire, just a yellow wire. How do I ground these?
SirAndy
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Apr 12 2021, 11:54 AM) *
How do I ground these?

I haven't looked at foglights in forever but i'd say they should be grounded when you bolt them to the chassis.
idea.gif
914Sixer
NOT stock, some homemade going on there. Bulb holder mounts in reflector NOT housing.
sjhenry1075
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 12 2021, 03:08 PM) *

NOT stock, some homemade going on there. Bulb holder mounts in reflector NOT housing.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were homemade! Maybe I'll just stick with the ones I purchased.
Shivers
Mine have a ground and my loom has a ground wire. Mine are H3's. But, like said above those should pick up the ground from the body. like any ground it has to be a clean contact.
GeorgeKopf
Your fog lights are definitely a home brew concoction.

I just refurbished my wiring harness and am in the middle of refurbishing my fog lights.
Technically, there should be no wires coming from a fog light that is not installed. The fog light only has connectors for wires on the wiring harness.

This is what oem fog light reflector, shade and socket look like from the front.
Click to view attachment

This is the backside of that unit.
Click to view attachment

Inside the housing, (not shown) is the connector for the ground wire. This will be connected to the brown wire on your wiring harness.

On the backside, in front of the bulb holder is a little brass cylinder with a set screw.
Click to view attachment

On the wiring harness will be a tinned bare wire end that is inserted into that brass fitting and locked in place with the set screw. According to the 1974 wiring diagram should be white and yellow.Click to view attachment

Looking at your picture, that wire supplies power and should be spliced to your yellow/white fog light wire. You need to find a place to connect the brown ground wire. Look inside the housing for a male terminal.

George
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.