Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV's-axles idea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larryM
found this whilst pondering what to do with the vw-westphalia hulk in the back forty. . . . . never heard it said on our 914 forums

just swap sides & soldier on

https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=171
Superhawk996
It can be done. At best, it is a temporary fix that you could use while you obtain new CV joints.

The critical part the link left out is that CV joints also account for axle plunge during suspension travel.

Yes, agree that flipping the axles will move the contact spot at static ride height. However, as the suspension travels throught jounce and rebound, it will cause the CV balls to roll though the worn divot somewhere in the suspension travel.

Rolling in/out of that divot leads to accelerated failure modes. Murphy's law says that failure will occur in the rain, at night, and when you don't have tools.

The proper fix is to replace worn CV joints.
914Sixer
I remember something about swapping the axles end to end not side to side. Theory was because of the angle of outboard it got more wear than the inboard CV did. Not sure IF there was any physical proof to it though.
Root_Werks
Heard this as well but have no experience with trying it.
aturboman
Axles take a permanent "set" torsionally in the drive direction due to the enormous shock loads they consistently receive. (Same applies to suspension torsion bars).

If you install them in the opposite direction (eg the twist is opposite) they will fail eventually, literally snap in half.

Its why the front suspension torsion bars are marked L & R at the factory once installed.

The science is very well explained in Carroll Smith's book Engineered to Win. Its all about the metallurgy and grain structures of the metal.

With a low power car it may be mitigated to some degree but in a race car you'd be lucky to get one or 2 laps before they go bang.

I always mark axles L & R and inner and out when rebuilding with some paint marks, then re-install in the same direction.

If the CV is worn out it needs to be replaced simple as that.
sixnotfour
I saw a 962 , recently restored ..open an axle like a can of easy bake biscuits..RennSport

Right on Left,, Nobert Singer , signed my shirt as I changed it out..
Mark Henry
I agree I never swap sides/ends when I remove axles, I'm careful to keep them in the correct orientation. Paint marks are the best, as it's hard to mark them any other way.

Sway A Way axles are also directional.

I just finished a VW swing axle install, same deal.
bdstone914
Duplicate info to aturbomans post.

In high horsepower cars the axles shoukd be marked for the direction of rotation and keot rotating in the same direction. They are being twisted each time the car accelerates. Like tortion bars they can fail from changing the direction in which they are twisted.
brant
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Apr 13 2021, 06:06 PM) *

I saw a 962 , recently restored ..open an axle like a can of easy bake biscuits..RennSport

Right on Left,, Nobert Singer , signed my shirt as I changed it out..

that picture is amazing!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.