Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Search Function
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Root_Werks
Quick thanks for anyone who's contributed to the Search function on the forum. I've used it a hundred times.

Most recently was struggling to figure out how to remove the little nut holding on the wiper assembly to the dash panel wall. Couldn't for the life of me remember how to take that little bugger out, seemingly impossible to remove with so much in the way. I'm in the front trunk if you haven't figured already. Short wrench, bend a wrench?

Couple of quick searches and PRESTO! Up came a thread or two with pictures showing removal of the ashtray can access the correct nut to remove behind the dash.

Gotta love it! beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
Just My Opinion....

I love this board, but the search function sucks. I use google....

Just put in "site:914world.com" and what you are searching for.

I get way better results that way.

Clay
FlacaProductions
I agree w clay.
burlybryan
As a newish-to-me 914 owner, I have nothing but questions. The search feature is impossible with no ability to zero into results. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong. The workaround is to use Google and put "914world" in with your other keywords.
me poke.gif the search results
Rand
LOL. After decades here... (really? wow, yes) This forum software is not capable of decent search and I doubt they will ever improve it... If they wanted to they would have by now. They are probably tired old programmers who just don't care anymore.

(to be clear, I'm not talking about Andy, but rather, Invision)

Use Google to search here if you want results.

Cairo94507
Sadly, I agree with Clay. I try to search all the time and get pages and pages of results that are not even remotely related to the search terms I enter. I go to Google now.
Rand
Use what works
robkammer
In this day and pint in time of digital sites, this should be much more robust and user friendly. I also struggle with searching.
Maybe it should be a subscription site?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(robkammer @ Apr 13 2021, 05:03 PM) *

In this day and pint in time of digital sites, this should be much more robust and user friendly. I also struggle with searching.
Maybe it should be a subscription site?

This site is free. But a lot of us make voluntary contributions to keeping the lights on and the hardware upgraded.

Nobody is here to make money.

Clay
rclutter
This should be in the FAQ

SirAndy
The search here works well enough if you understand and use the "advanced" features like quotes and plus/minus prefix for keywords etc.

The forum software is literally 20 years old, we stopped updating when Invision went to a monthly subscription model.
shades.gif

rclutter
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 25 2022, 11:15 AM) *

The search here works well enough if you understand and use the "advanced" features like quotes and plus/minus prefix for keywords etc.

The forum software is literally 20 years old, we stopped updating when Invision went to a monthly subscription model.
shades.gif

searching for ECU or "ECU" return no results.

but

site:914world.com ECU returns many.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rclutter @ May 25 2022, 09:21 AM) *

shades.gif

but

We don't index keywords shorter than 4 characters ...
shades.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 13 2021, 01:23 PM) *

Most recently was struggling to figure out how to remove the little nut holding on the wiper assembly to the dash panel wall. Couldn't for the life of me remember how to take that little bugger out, seemingly impossible to remove with so much in the way. I'm in the front trunk if you haven't figured already. Short wrench, bend a wrench?

Got the link ? I couldn't fid it.... sad.gif
@Root_Werks
Root_Werks
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 25 2022, 09:51 AM) *

@Root_Werks

Can't find it now, I got to it by removing the ashtray and slider (two little Philips screws). I did notice the other day though: I removed the speedometer to replace my dash and through the speedo opening, the 10mm nut was more accessible.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ May 25 2022, 10:06 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 25 2022, 09:51 AM) *

@Root_Werks

Can't find it now, I got to it by removing the ashtray and slider (two little Philips screws). I did notice the other day though: I removed the speedometer to replace my dash and through the speedo opening, the 10mm nut was more accessible.

@jim_hoyland

Move the passenger seat all the way back (or better yet, remove it), grab a headband flashlight and 10mm wrench/socket, get on your back and undo the nut from underneath the dash.
smash.gif

rclutter
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 25 2022, 11:31 AM) *

QUOTE(rclutter @ May 25 2022, 09:21 AM) *

shades.gif

but

We don't index keywords shorter than 4 characters ...
shades.gif

biggrin.gif

That explains that. Thanks!
Garland
For many years this link has been at the bottom of all my posts. “Google custom search link” I found it here at the club. I’ve found it to be great, I don’t understand the full link, but I love how it works. First gives you generic links, then specific to 914 World links are listed page after page.
Here’s the full link. And the tab at the bottom of my posts.

https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=00240834...772:ajvfxschcgc
ctc911ctc
I agree - the search here is challenging - using external search is the way to go

I would thank the admins for allowing the spiders to crawl within.

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 13 2021, 02:53 PM) *

Just My Opinion....

Clay

Chris H.
Yes the + * and " " are the keys to a successful search. I use it all the time and rarely have trouble. Also the minimum 4 characters thing is crucial. Now that these 914s are considered "real" Porsche's (finally), the free advice is even more valuable.
johnhora
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 13 2021, 01:53 PM) *

Just My Opinion....

Clay

Clay...thanks for the tip....that works great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.