Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AA Performance High Performance Rebuild Kits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cool_PA
Hey all,

I just fairly recently purchased my 914 (1975 2.0), and unfortunately it developed a rod knock so I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine. It is my first aircooled engine I've worked on and my first engine rebuild in general, so please forgive my lack of knowledge here.

I was searching for engine Rebuild Kits and I found this: https://aapistons.com/products/vw-type-4-pe...ne-rebuild-kits

Does anyone have any experience with these? Would these significantly hinder reliability with the car? These seem to be "high performance" kits, though I'm not trying to build a racer or anything I do drive a lot of highway miles so I would appreciate a little more power to more easily handle passing at higher speeds.

Thanks in advance
914Sixer
2056 is a great street motor. I sourced AA Biral 96mm cylinders, KB pistons, Grant rings, Elgin FI camshaft and Mahle bearings. Also go to the Type4 Store for other options.
brant
welcome to the world of 914's

we have a solid group of local guys around
and get together once in a while for a weekend drive
plus attendance at some of the big events

good to see another colorado teener on here
where about in the state are you?

brant
Bleyseng
Plus get new heads from Len at HAM
Boothy
AA is great. Have their big bore kit. Came through when everyone else jerked me around. Great so far.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 13 2021, 09:14 PM) *

Plus get new heads from Len at HAM

Good luck, Len can't keep up with type4store's orders. I have two sets on reserve, ETA late summer at the earliest with no guaranty on the delivery date.
saigon71
QUOTE(Cool_PA @ Apr 13 2021, 04:52 PM) *

Hey all,

I just fairly recently purchased my 914 (1975 2.0), and unfortunately it developed a rod knock so I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine. It is my first aircooled engine I've worked on and my first engine rebuild in general, so please forgive my lack of knowledge here.

I was searching for engine Rebuild Kits and I found this: https://aapistons.com/products/vw-type-4-pe...ne-rebuild-kits

Does anyone have any experience with these? Would these significantly hinder reliability with the car? These seem to be "high performance" kits, though I'm not trying to build a racer or anything I do drive a lot of highway miles so I would appreciate a little more power to more easily handle passing at higher speeds.

Thanks in advance

My experience with AA pistons & cylinders was excellent. In my opinion, they are the best "bang for the buck" option for a mild street rebuild.

One word of caution with the AA P & C's - measure everything before installing them. I had one brand new piston ring that was way too tight.
wndsrfr
Get Jake Raby's "Bug Me" video DVD...the guidance there is sooo valuable...
VaccaRabite
Look at European Motor Works.
http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/vw/type-...-cylinders.html

Lots of folks are running AA pistons and cylinders. I'm still partial to the Keith Black 96mm flat tops and punched out stock cylinders.

With the AA sets there used to be quality control issues with things being slightly out of round. That said I've not heard of recent issues so that may have been fixed. But you have to measure to make sure, and be sure wherever you buy will accept returns if something is out of spec.

If you have the money, Lens heads are where its AT. I didn't when I built my engine the last time and had a local guy do the heads. They have been fine but I KNOW I left power on the table.

Zach

Mark Henry
I too use KB pistons. The KB is the bulletproof modified ford pinto piston that EMW has sold since the early 80's.

The couple of 2.0 Djets that I'm doing turn-key restorations this spring/summer, they will all get KB pistons and Hastings rings, except for one engine that may get AA.
The one engine came with a PO bought AA P&C set, so I'll be looking at them shortly, but I'm not sure how old the set is. I've only used AA on T1 so far and they seem okay, very old school skirt design. Many peeps don't seem to drive as much as they did, so long term life is still a question.
Cool_PA
Thank you all for the help! I looked into Type 4 store, and while they seem to be high quality, they're a bit out of my budget unfortunately. I'm currently considering going with the 2257 high performance kit. One other question: do you all recommend getting a different sized camshaft from AA pistons as well? If so is there a generally recommended one?
Cool_PA
QUOTE(brant @ Apr 13 2021, 04:10 PM) *

brant

Thank you! I'm around the Longmont area.
brant
QUOTE(Cool_PA @ Apr 15 2021, 12:33 PM) *

brant

I'm in longmont also
we should get together for a garage beer on the weekend (when it stops snowing)
I've got a couple of teeners and always happy to talk teeners
brant

stugray
QUOTE(Cool_PA @ Apr 15 2021, 12:33 PM) *

brant

I am also in the Longmont area. I have a Vintage 914 racecar and a bunch of parts I am trying to clear out.

I also have experience with the KB pistons and EMW cylinders and have no problems.
I have even broken one and was able to order a single replacement from EMW.

I race with Brant in Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing.( RMVR org)
His build was the inspiration for me getting into vintage racing and restoring my car.
He is a very good source of information and many years of expertise.

I also have all of the tools required for an engine build.

PM me and I can give you contact info

EDIT: parts I used:
European Motor Works:
Hasting Rings for 96mm KB pistons
EMW part #6104 (4203 Hastings 96)
4203 Ford-Mercury 4CYL 96.00 2.0 2.0 4.75

Keith Black Hypereutectic pistons
(Silv-o-lite) 4-S02323+.STD United Engine & Machine Co

Webcam 86b

See my car on my "Marvin" thread (link below)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.