Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 2.0 Voltage Regulator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
9ONE4_JIM
WTB: Hi Gang: It appears that my voltage regulator may be failing. It's on a 1973 914 2.0.
I'm a 914 Newbie and would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction. Seems the ones you can get from 914 Rubber may not be a good 'fit.'
Click to view attachment
johnhora
what problems are you having that makes you think it's bad
I have used ones if needed...
9ONE4_JIM

I just acquired this car and am in the process of "Dialing-It-In." During a 40 mile trip back home from my mechanic (my first night drive in this car) I noticed that the dash lights were modulating from dim to brighter about halfway into the trip. I then noticed that my headlight were doing the same thing.

During a call to the mechanic the next day he stated that the culprit is the voltage regulator. In that he has been working on these cars since 1974 I took his assessment seriously. Your thoughts...

914Sixer
The ones from 914 Rubber are exact fit. Only thing is you need a larger washer because they have a larger hole.
bdstone914
QUOTE(9ONE4_JIM @ Apr 14 2021, 04:58 PM) *

I just acquired this car and am in the process of "Dialing-It-In." During a 40 mile trip back home from my mechanic (my first night drive in this car) I noticed that the dash lights were modulating from dim to brighter about halfway into the trip. I then noticed that my headlight were doing the same thing.

During a call to the mechanic the next day he stated that the culprit is the voltage regulator. In that he has been working on these cars since 1974 I took his assessment seriously. Your thoughts...

Sounds more like a light switch problem. Check the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running and not running. It should be higher when running.
You might need a new mechanic too.

9ONE4_JIM
Sounds more like a light switch problem. Check the voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running and not running. It should be higher when running.
You might need a new mechanic too.

LOL. Well I guess I better get the mechanic tested as well. Thanks for your input; I'll test via the terminals.
Warren914

I replaced the original mechanical regulator with a solid state Wells VR650. Case is a little different but it fits fine. Looks like Duralast is the same part.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting...-vr650/2840_0_0
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.