Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: At long last, the Viceroy steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Optimusglen
Hey guys, I'm excited to finally be able to talk all about the steering wheel. I've had a few threads during the process, but I'll try to summarize everything here in one post.

Back in 2018 I designed a steering wheel. At the time I had no ambition of building it, I just made the CAD and did a render of it. I put it on my Instagram page one time.

Fast forward 2 years and I get a message from the guys at Tactico. They are a company based out of Belgium that builds steering wheels, they're both 911 guys. They liked the design and wanted to partner with me to get it built.

1 week later I get a message from Sung Kang (Han from Fast & Furious movies) he wants to build a run of restomod 914's and specifically wanted this steering wheel to be on it. The 914 project was called Viceroy, and the name was eventually extended to the wheel.

Tactico builds a very high-quality wheel, and they have some tribal knowledge in that arena. So with their help, I redesigned the wheel so that it could be manufactured and be very robust.

I had the first prototype with me out at the West Coast Rally with Sung and a few of you got to get your hands on it.

The features of the Viceroy:

-I created the wheel as a 380mm diameter wheel. The factory diameter of the 914 (and 2.7 Carrera RS) I chose this size after moving from a 350mm wheel to the factory wheel. With the factory size not only do you have a better view of the gauges but it also improves the feel of the steering because of the added leverage.

-A thumb groove around the entire inner circumference of the rim. Inspired by the Jaguar e-type, this groove gives a subtle reminder of where to place your thumbs while driving, to keep them out of harm's way. In vehicles without power steering there exists the possibility that the wheel is ripped from your hands, spinning rapidly. If your thumbs are inside, one of the wheel spokes can swing around and strike it.

-And what may be the most noticeable feature, the laminated (layered) wood backing to the spokes. This is purely ornamental, and not intended to add any structural effect. The wood profile matches the spoke profile and adds depth and life. The laminated wood of course a nod to the Porsche 917 shift knob.

-The wheel is offered with either straight/parallel white stitching or white cross-stitching as standard options. But Tactico can build these to suit, so if you wanted black stitching, or red, or orange, etc. just drop them a message with your order and they'll get you set up.

-Made by hand by some incredibly skilled artisans in Italy.

Now, this is a high-end steering wheel and it takes quite a bit of labor to create this beautiful wood backing. As you can imagine the price does reflect that. Believe me, I'm a true 914 guy (a.k.a. cheap bastard) so the price is a bit staggering. But I would be doing myself and maybe a few of you a disservice to not show the wheel off here.

All sales and pre-orders are done through the Tactico website below. Price is 715 euros and current conversion rates according to Google put's it at a little over $850 USD.

They ship worldwide, and use DHL. It takes about 3 days to get anywhere in the US.

On the topic of hub adapters. Tactico does offer a large assortment of hub adapters, including at least 3 different options for 914's. (early -4, late -4, -6) I have their solid option for my '71 914-4, and they also offer collapsible versions. These wheels use the 6x74mm bolt pattern shared with Nardi/Personal. If you already have a hub that isn't directly sold by Momo you may have this pattern alongside the Momo pattern already, such was the case for my friend in his 911 when we did the photoshoot with P01.

Now with the wall of text out of the way, onto some pictures! The photographs are of prototype P01. And the renders show the launch version. The difference is in the horn button and maybe a few small/unnoticeable geometry updates. And of course packaging.

Viceroy steering wheel ordering page

Or more info on my page https://www.glencordle.com/viceroy

you can email me at info@glencordle.com if you have questions, or post here.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

mepstein
driving.gif
Optimusglen
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 15 2021, 10:28 AM) *

driving.gif

I saw that! I didn't know that Viceroy was a cigarette brand and that they sponsored automotive racing, let alone a 914. I saw that when we were nearly ready to launch the wheel and was amazed.

Out Viceroy Bespoke Motorsport wheel has no relation to the Viceroy cigarette brand.
bretth
Looks awesome. Congrats!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.