Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: History Question: Who coined the term "Hell Hole" ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
We all know the term, but who was the first person to use it in relation to a 914?

I learned it from the guy I bought my first 914 from back in 2001...long before 914world or any of the 914 communities existed. So how did it spread? Magazine article? Yahoo list?

Certainly someone here knows the origin...right?
Bleyseng
mikez?
bretth
Spinal Tap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk9aThIovMA
aktion035.gif
burlybryan
Rumor has it that it was the original German assembly workers, only they called it "das hollenloch". In reality, I'm totally making this up.
ClayPerrine
My first recollection of someone using the words "Hell Hole" was from the 90s when we all were on the email Rennlist servers.

I don't remember who first said it, though.

Clay
Superhawk996
Heard it in late 80's but applied more broadly to the entire engine compartment vs. the small rust prone pocket that it now refers to.
mate914
I had just got out of high school and remember and it from Rennlist's east coast get together 1999/2000
Maybe Mr. John Dunkel
Matt
mlindner
The first 914 owner smile.gif
Bleyseng
QUOTE(mate914 @ Apr 15 2021, 05:57 PM) *

I had just got out of high school and remember and it from Rennlist's east coast get together 1999/2000
Maybe Mr. John Dunkel
Matt

It was used at the old 914club list in 1995 when I first joined that
Big Len
I did.
But it was used in regards to my ex-wife.
Ansbacher
According to the book "Cars Are My Life" by Ferry Porsche, the first reference to a "hell hole" in relation to the 914 occurred on 16 January 1970 during an inspection tour of the production line at the Karmann factory at Osnabruck. While bent over peering into the engine compartment of a passing 914 chassis, Ferry's fountain pen slipped out of his breast pocket and down into the bowels of the car beneath the battery tray. A line worker reportedly heard him curse "Oh hell, my pen fell into that hole!". The pen was never recovered and to this day some lucky 914 owner might still be driving around with it. And I better stop here, for fear of being charged with slander (or is it libel). Never could get that straight.

Ansbacher
Superhawk996
Now wouldn't that be something to find that pen if true.

Surely disolved by battery acid by now though. lol-2.gif
Root_Werks
Bought my first 914-4 in 1988 and was told to check the "hell hole" for rust. So at least that long.
CoronaMike
Click to view attachment
Jmkorfha
When I bought my first 914 in January 1981, it was being called the hell hole.
orthobiz
JP Stein??

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914...al-species.html

Paul
Bleyseng
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Apr 17 2021, 06:41 AM) *

God, I remember him buying his 914 with that shit green paint.I
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(bretth @ Apr 15 2021, 02:23 PM) *

I prefer live, and I want that ridiculous guitar biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2GWUt4dH-A
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Apr 17 2021, 06:41 AM) *

...and in that Pelican Thread, Otto's of Venice Beach (POC racer John Williamson) , just calling it the rust Hole . John had a great sense of humor ! We were supplying his shop with shorty-headers for the (1 year only) 1976 912e; which he referred to as the oil drippy "Stuttgart Edsel" or the "Exxon Valdez" lol-2.gif Some of John's Willow Springs, POC class records (most in 914s) are still standing driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.