Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: locked up !!!!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
banksyinoz
i dont wanna hit anyone , my problem is that i have 86 turbo front brakes from a 911? ( their a good size) and my rear brakes are standard, i have been told that the proportioning or the bias might not be correct, part of my problem is that i also want to increase the size of the rear brakes but am unsure of what to use the car already has 5 studs and is using 16x8 rims any help in this matter would be appraciated as its not easy to get kits for upgrades here in australia sad.gif
lapuwali
Well, there are no kits available, so you're in the same boat as everyone else.

With lots of front brake and stock rear brakes you'll find yourself locking your front wheels long before your rears lock, which is relatively safe (the car will just go straight on). However, you'll be losing out on the braking potential of your rear tires, so you won't be getting maximum performance from your brakes.

Much of a 911 rear brake setup can be retrofitted to a 914. The main downside is you lose the handbrake unless you also transplant the 911 handbrake assembly. There are 2-3 people on this board who have done this, so it's certainly possible, but it's a fair amount of work. Doing a search here may help. I know Timo and Sir Andy have done this, and Eric Shea is in the middle of doing it.

anthony
Are you sure you have turbo brakes?? A front set of turbo brakes is probably worth $1000+.

My advice would be to sell them and put in a much cheaper set of midyear/SC or Carrera calipers. And with that you should remove the proportioning valve. Even SC or Carrera calipers will be massive overkill for a 914.
scotty b
If you are running turbo brakes then they are the 4 pistons and you DEFINITLY should match the rears. Turbos and 944 S2's used the same caliper for the front and rear. As far as adapting them to a 914 someone else will have to chime in on that sad.gif I can tell you how to put them on a 944 though biggrin.gif
JerryP
Your avatar is hilarious Scotty. happy11.gif
banksyinoz
ok

i may have been ripped
headbang.gif the front brakes are twin spots and look like the 914 items in my porsche wshop manual (its a 914-6 book) however i have the reciept for 911 front struts which i have checked and are koni, on the brakes though the fronts are ventillated and the same thickness as the 914-6 items but i can not find a vented disc in the book, i am currently investigating with the supplyer of the parts so as to resolve my problem asap
will add pics soon
banksyinoz
ah ha just checked out another post and discovered that my struts are definetly 911 , as they are 5 stud with the vented disc but the callipers are the same as a 914 dry.gif so i need to find out which model they are from so i can setup the rears accordingly
i dont have any hassles with fitting a handbrake as long as the disc and caliper combo is right
the master cylinder is from a series 5 rx7 and mounted in front of the fuel tank
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.