Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First IMSA Race Winner at VIR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Minerva's 914
Hurley Haywood remembering winning the 1st IMSA race 50 years ago this weekend

Click to view attachment

Won by 2 laps over the favored Corvette!
GregAmy
Roller Coaster.

(Was just thre last weekend).
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 16 2021, 10:51 AM) *

Roller Coaster.

(Was just thre last weekend).

Love VIR, miss Oak Tree though. Spent a lot of time at the corner station there watching cars passing within feet of the rail. I could almost reach out and touch them as they passed by. Sadly both the tree and the corner station are both gone.

GregAmy
I always enjoyed cutting that corner tight, with a corner worker leaning over within arm's reach.

I can understand why they moved the station after the tree fell; its location was sub-optimal in terms of impacts. But I loved it. The driver's-left station on exit is OK, but out of sight once you turn in.

Not a 914 (still a mid-engine car)...last weekend's fun. The Runoffs will be there in 2022 and 2023, and so will we.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi-RYFX69cQ
gokart73
Thanks for the link.

I have that car on the shelf.

Click to view attachment
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(gokart73 @ Apr 16 2021, 11:55 AM) *

Thanks for the link.

I have that car on the shelf.

Click to view attachment

NICE!
Minerva's 914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 16 2021, 11:43 AM) *

I always enjoyed cutting that corner tight, with a corner worker leaning over within arm's reach.

I can understand why they moved the station after the tree fell; its location was sub-optimal in terms of impacts. But I loved it. The driver's-left station on exit is OK, but out of sight once you turn in.

Not a 914 (still a mid-engine car)...last weekend's fun. The Runoffs will be there in 2022 and 2023, and so will we.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi-RYFX69cQ

I shot photos for MotorSport.com in the early 2000's and loved shooting from that station, stick on an 18mm lean over the rail with camera stretched out at arms length pointed downward and shoot into the open cockpit, amazing stuff. Have to see if I can find some of those photos and post them.
GregAmy
QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Apr 16 2021, 11:21 AM) *

I shot photos for MotorSport.com in the early 2000's and loved shooting from that station...

Then you probably shot the 13 Hour enduro. We ran Pablo I (white) and Pablo II (blue) for some years in each of them.
Shivers
"That little 914 won because it was durable, very durable, and easy to drive and very good on the brakes so we could really just force the Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs to go deep into the corner on brakes and two or three laps later their brakes were on fire, useless. So that’s how we won those races with that little 914. It was such a great race car.” H.H.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.