Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tapping sound when I corner left
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914xr75
I'm hoping someone might know what this is before I start the inspection process. When I turn left, especially at slow speeds, I can hear a tapping sound. About four taps per second at slow speed. Don't really hear it when I'm going faster. It sounds like someone has a wooden spoon and is tapping lightly on a hubcap. I don't think it would be a loose lug nut in my hubcaps cuz that would make a terrible sound. Any ideas?
wes
I had a similar sound which was simply wheel bearings.
914xr75
Cool. I'll order some new ones and replace them next weekend. Thanks.
bdstone914
QUOTE(914xr75 @ Apr 17 2021, 01:29 PM) *

Cool. I'll order some new ones and replace them next weekend. Thanks.

@914xr75
Much more likely to be a CV joint. Grab the top of the wheel and see if you have play in the bearing. Wheel bearings tend to grown when worn. Outer CVs are more prove to wear.
stownsen914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Apr 17 2021, 04:55 PM) *

Much more likely to be a CV joint.

My thought as well
914xr75
Thanks Bruce. I'll check into the CV joint before I start replacing bearings.
infraredcalvin
Check your front struts for a loose insert, under the dust cover, the insert screws into the strut housing.
Retroracer
CV joint seconded thirded,

- Tony
mlindner
wheel bearings growl with load, CV's go clunk clunk in the night. Is the noise coming from the front or rear. Best, Mark
914xr75
@mlindner it sounds like it's coming from the front. I am a novice mechanic. I can do brakes, oil changes, replace windshields, change spark plugs, convert to disc brakes on my old pickup, rotate tires. I've never gone into an engine. Do you think I can replace CV joints myself?
mlindner
CV's aren't that bad....but there in the rear. Check your front bearing, brake pads/rotors, wheel lugs.
914xr75
Well I finally had a little bit of time to research and try to figure out my tapping sound. Bruce and all the others were right. One of the four bolts on the driver side inner CV joint was just hanging. I'm surprised it stayed in there without being tightened. I torqued all the bolts and problem solved. Thanks for everyone's input. Happy holidays!
djway
Check the CV joint bolts to see if they're loose. That was my experience.
wonkipop
QUOTE(mlindner @ Apr 18 2021, 06:59 AM) *

CV's aren't that bad....but there in the rear. Check your front bearing, brake pads/rotors, wheel lugs.

very good suggestion re the brake pads.

10 years ago i had a problem on my renault.
i could have sworn the noise was coming from the front when turning.
sounded sort of like a cv joint, had all the sound symptoms but the sound was not quite cv joint sound. only when i turned.

it was a rear caliper!
the wire clip holding in the pad had not been properly flipped into position by the dealer who did the pad change.
i randomly spotted it in frustration looking around the car and flipped it down with my fingers through the spoke gap in the alloys.
the click was gone.

914 has a different kind of spring clip but.....take a look at it maybe.

EDIT - i see you fixed it.
but above holds true - sometimes it sounds like its coming from the front.
and its at the back!!!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(914xr75 @ Dec 4 2021, 09:30 PM) *

Well I finally had a little bit of time to research and try to figure out my tapping sound. Bruce and all the others were right. One of the four bolts on the driver side inner CV joint was just hanging. I'm surprised it stayed in there without being tightened. I torqued all the bolts and problem solved. Thanks for everyone's input. Happy holidays!

There are special "schnorr" washers under the heads of the CV bolts that are a one time use item. If you had a bolt come loose, you probably need new washers.

Also, proper torque on the CV bolts is essential to making sure they stay tight. Get the 914 Bible (AKA Haynes Manual) and look up the CV bolt torque and use a torque wrench to set it correctly.

If yo do that, they won't come loose again.

Clay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.