NOS
914 ski rack,
part number 914.801.901.10,
original Box,
Karo Skihalter
Typ L3725 / 338645
98.- DM + 11% Mwst,
leather straps never buckled,

the VW-Porsche Vertriebsgesellschaft priceslist from 1973 does list this article with 105,45 incl. tax.

pics are from the uncleaned ‚out of the box‘ find!

priced at 550.- € inc. premium shipping from bavaria

if interested...pm

br
/
stay safe&healthy

haul
haul
haul
haul
wes
Pm sent
haul
QUOTE(wes @ Apr 19 2021, 07:08 AM) *

Pm sent

pm replied
haul
this rack is sold...

thank you 914world

wink.gif
DRPHIL914
headbang.gif

dammmmmmm!

i have been looking for one of these for 5 years! thats what i get for
working on my transmission all weekedn and not logging in to see new listings on world.

barf.gif

congradulations on a fast sale
MM1
Yep - international hotspot . . .

like @haul said, "I ll offer it here first, as this is the right place"

Congrats on the quick draw @Wes

Condolences @DrPhil914 - if I ever see one again (in time to catch it) I'll pm you. Good luck.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(MM1 @ Apr 19 2021, 09:07 AM) *

Condolences @DrPhil914 - if I ever see one again (in time to catch it) I'll pm you. Good luck.

agree.gif
yes that was a great “Haul” for mr haul lol
it not a have to have thing, no skiing in SC, but a surf board would look really cool on one for sure biggrin.gif

914 rubber will eventually make the Repo on this i think, i certainly can wait,
i think their next bit item is the WAS tops so it could be a while...
wes
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 19 2021, 06:21 AM) *

agree.gif
it not a have to have thing, no skiing in SC, but a surf board would look really cool on one for sure biggrin.gif

Actually I don’t ski but I’ve always thought my old long board would be perfect on my chrome yellow 914. Back in the day no passenger but the nose of my board in the foot well tale hanging out rested on the roll-bar cruising Hwy 17 to Santa Cruz Unfortunately these old knees don’t ski or surf any longer but what a photo shoot, California Dreaming!
MM1
Looking forward to seeing pics of both your cars with boards on 'em!

popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
QUOTE(wes @ Apr 19 2021, 08:28 AM) *

Actually I don’t ski but I’ve always thought my old long board would be perfect on my chrome yellow 914. Back in the day no passenger but the nose of my board in the foot well tale hanging out rested on the roll-bar cruising Hwy 17 to Santa Cruz Unfortunately these old knees don’t ski or surf any longer but what a photo shoot, California Dreaming!

For Wes - smile.gif

Click to view attachment
.... (ad occasionally seen FS on evil-bay BTW)

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(MM1 @ Apr 19 2021, 09:09 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment

Dang! beat me to it! LOL
beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 19 2021, 01:18 PM) *

QUOTE(MM1 @ Apr 19 2021, 09:09 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment

Dang! beat me to it! LOL
beerchug.gif

The period advertisment shows a very different rack. No ?
wes
A but that’s a short board!

QUOTE(MM1 @ Apr 19 2021, 10:09 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 19 2021, 09:50 AM) *

Hard to tell in the ad pic below if it could be the back half of the Karo rack holding the board - but very possibly a different single board rack.

And Wes said that he has a long board - which also couldn't work sideways like this guy's short board .... or at least not without taking out cars, trees, pedestrians on either side! biggrin.gif

Also note that it's a 1970-72 era 914-6 with the fixed passenger seat & Mahle gas=burner 5-lug allow wheels - & so not a good idea to be wading a real -6 in salt water! blink.gif

IPB Image

The reason for my posting it for Wes is that that ad was one of the set of Porsche+Audi USA's "The _____ Porsche" ad series for the 914s back in the day.

This is the "The Schuss Porsche" ad from that USA 914 magazine series, but still not that Karo rack - more similar to the USA sold Piper racks:

Click to view attachment

I'm pretty sure that these are the Karo racks in these German/Euro Porsche Ads, but this wasn't part of that "The _______ Porsche" US/Canada 914 Ad campaign from the 1970s that I noted above.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I'm not sure what these racks are though in this Porsche German/Euro promo pic? blink.gif

Click to view attachment

I was saying above for Wes & others - that for those interested in making a 914 display, framed photos, or something -- you can find folks selling classic car magazine ads on evil-bay to make up a poster board, framed display(s), one-off ad, etc. - prices range $5-15+ each.

I plan to do something like that in the future myself.

Some of the others that I recall are: "The Rain Porsche" (Zambezi Green), "The Mountain Porsche" (Bahia Red), "The Sun Porsche" & "The Sun Porsche" (both Yellows), "The Space Porsche" (Marathon Blue). there are probably some others that I'm forgetting too.

IIRC Jeff Bowlsby's Classic 914 website has them in his 914 Ads subsection.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(wes @ Apr 19 2021, 10:22 AM) *

A but that’s a short board!

QUOTE(MM1 @ Apr 19 2021, 10:09 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment

Yup! As I said in my last post above Wes, but I got off onto some "real work/biz" stuff" & didn't finish it before.

Heck - I was always a Body Surfer in San Diego & Huntington Beach - so the ole Duck Feet just went into the rear trunk! biggrin.gif

So Wes - since they don't seem to be with the rack that you bought, you'll want to recreate these triangular rubber seals for between the rollbar underside & rack mounting bracket that the Karos & many OEM/Aftermarket Ski & Bike Racks came with to prevent paint scuffing.

I think these are from the set that Cal/Jeff Brinton bought from one of our SoCal guys on here a while back, & it shows the rubber bits that came with the OE new Karo Rack set that my buddy back in the `mid-70's got.

Click to view attachment

You'll also want to get a couple of pairs/sets of the repro rubber plugs that go into the 2 top windshield frame holes where the front bar inserts - since they're either crispy now or long gone, & get at least a spare because they tend to disappear on you in the grass, snow, etc. - speaking from experience. dry.gif

914Rubber makes & sells them, as does Stoddard, SMC, AA & other parts houses (AFAIK they're all made by Mark/914Rubber).

For reference:
https://www.stoddard.com/91455923910.html

IPB Image

And Mark may also have some extra red leather straps from his project to make the repro version of this Karo, to replace any missing from yours (it looked like the front ones were missing).

Rack GB pg 3 (you're on there) -
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...45130&st=40

IPB Image

And if you're not going to use a board bungee from a Yakima or Thule Board Rack to secure your long board, then you can probably have a local Saddle Shop make you up some long board length leather straps for the Karo, as well as to match the needed short straps that you may need for skis.

After all, you are in Ukiah! smile.gif

Have Fun! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
wes
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 19 2021, 03:58 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 19 2021, 09:50 AM) *

Hard to tell in the ad pic below if it could be the back half of the Karo rack holding the board - but very possibly a different single board rack.

And Wes said that he has a long board - which also couldn't work sideways like this guy's short board .... or at least not without taking out cars, trees, pedestrians on either side! biggrin.gif

Also note that it's a 1970-72 era 914-6 with the fixed passenger seat & Mahle gas=burner 5-lug allow wheels - & so not a good idea to be wading a real -6 in salt water! blink.gif

IPB Image

The reason for my posting it for Wes is that that ad was one of the set of Porsche+Audi USA's "The _____ Porsche" ad series for the 914s back in the day.

This is the "The Schuss Porsche" ad from that USA 914 magazine series, but still not that Karo rack - more similar to the USA sold Piper racks:

Click to view attachment

I'm pretty sure that these are the Karo racks in these German/Euro Porsche Ads, but this wasn't part of that "The _______ Porsche" US/Canada 914 Ad campaign from the 1970s that I noted above.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I'm not sure what these racks are though in this Porsche German/Euro promo pic?
blink.gif
I believe they would be aftermarket racks Porsche didn’t make them, Although the photographer might have. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

I was saying above for Wes & others - that for those interested in making a 914 display, framed photos, or something -- you can find folks selling classic car magazine ads on evil-bay to make up a poster board, framed display(s), one-off ad, etc. - prices range $5-15+ each.

I plan to do something like that in the future myself.

Some of the others that I recall are: "The Rain Porsche" (Zambezi Green), "The Mountain Porsche" (Bahia Red), "The Sun Porsche" & "The Sun Porsche" (both Yellows), "The Space Porsche" (Marathon Blue). there are probably some others that I'm forgetting too.

IIRC Jeff Bowlsby's Classic 914 website has them in his 914 Ads subsection.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
bkrantz
QUOTE(MM1 @ Apr 19 2021, 11:09 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Click to view attachment

A 914 touching salt water? What are the odds it was rusted through before the photo shoot was done?
DRPHIL914
@haul
@bkrantz
@wess
@Tom_T

I wanted to add to this thread because Hans (haul) contacted me after i had posted that i was interested in finding one of these and had just missed out on this one.

He is in Germany and has a few contacts etc, next thing i know he has found one and was able to acquire it and it will soon be here in SC USA!

so thanks haul!!! and also bumping this as i think he may have a line on one more....
i will post some pictures once i get it in.

Have a great day!

Phil
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(wes @ Apr 19 2021, 12:28 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 19 2021, 06:21 AM) *

agree.gif

@wes have you got yours mounted yet? post some pictures when you do! i am not in ski country but am about 5 hours from some skiing, but we are in surf country.... i just bought a cool '70's vintage board that i will proably mount to this for Amelia Werks Reunion next month. shades.gif
Tom_T
Dr. Phil & Wes -

Congratz on both of your NOS Karo's!

You should be able to get some split hollow tubular foam pipe insulation from a local plumbing store, to place over the cross bars to protect your boards' glazing.

You should also be able to get some long leather straps made at a local saddlry shop long enough to fit the board(s) for the vintage look, & they may also be able to make a padded leather wrap for the crossbars for old school look too (instead of the foam above), since you're going to Amelia.

I don't know if Mark's source for 914Rubber's leather straps are available in longer lengths for your boards, but it might be worth checking since he has the reddish color dye down for his ski length straps.

Also Hans/haul posted another topic for his sources for the protective rubber pads & screws elsewhere in here - if he didn't already add them to your orders. He seems like a really good & diligent vendor or seller on here so far.

Posting pix of your Karo's in action would be better appreciated in the Garage Forum, whenever you're ready! type.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 28 2021, 02:42 PM) *

Dr. Phil & Wes -

Congratz on both of your NOS Karo's!

You should be able to get some split hollow tubular foam pipe insulation from a local plumbing store, to place over the cross bars to protect your boards' glazing.

You should also be able to get some long leather straps made at a local saddlry shop long enough to fit the board(s) for the vintage look, & they may also be able to make a padded leather wrap for the crossbars for old school look too (instead of the foam above), since you're going to Amelia.

I don't know if Mark's source for 914Rubber's leather straps are available in longer lengths for your boards, but it might be worth checking since he has the reddish color dye down for his ski length straps.

Also Hans/haul posted another topic for his sources for the protective rubber pads & screws elsewhere in here - if he didn't already add them to your orders. He seems like a really good & diligent vendor or seller on here so far.

Posting pix of your Karo's in action would be better appreciated in the Garage Forum, whenever you're ready! type.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

great advice Tom i am going to get some tubing foam for sure.
i found a source for longer straps for the surf boards, i was just thinking the same thing. Mark might be able to have some made too good points. here is a teaser pic of mine.
Tom_T
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 29 2021, 08:39 AM) *

i found a source for longer straps for the surf boards, i was just thinking the same thing. Mark might be able to have some made too good points. here is a teaser pic of mine.

Sweeet!! drooley.gif
IPB Image

Make sure to get those rubber inserts for the Windshield rack slots/holes from 914Rubber too. both Stoddard & 914Rubber sells them, & maybe SMC 7 others - all are Marks work/parts AFAIK.

IPB Image

https://914rubber.com/ski-rack-front-plug-for-porsche-914

914Rubber also now makes the plugs for the 2x 3 holes in the rollbar underside used for the rear racks now! piratenanner.gif

https://914rubber.com/ski-rack-rear-plug-for-porsche-914

idea.gif

It looks like you'll need to run the L & R straps from the inner to outer ski loop mounts, with them crossing in the middle.

Otherwise you'll have trouble keeping both or a single board stable & secure on them.

That foam wrap is easy to cut access holes for the straps, so that the straps will also help hold the foam in place, & secured with the straps when no board(s), but I'd still recco removing the foam & straps when parked without boards so that they don't "walk away"!

You may need to use a bike cable lock or something if you're parkig with boards on & unattended.

Back in the day I had a board surfing buddy with a 914 who had some custom board racks made up from a pair of Karos (he used the Karo windshield frame & rollbar mounting plates/brackets welded to & with new chrome or SS tubing & cleats for tie-downs).

It was pretty slick & minimal air resistance/noise without the boards.

Looking forward to some coll Amelia pix.

But you do know that we have much bigger waves out here in CA & West Coast - except during Hurricanes of course! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 29 2021, 08:48 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 29 2021, 08:39 AM) *

Sweeet!! drooley.gif
IPB Image

Make sure to get those rubber inserts for the Windshield rack slots/holes from 914Rubber too. both Stoddard & 914Rubber sells them, & maybe SMC 7 others - all are Marks work/parts AFAIK.

IPB Image

https://914rubber.com/ski-rack-front-plug-for-porsche-914

914Rubber also now makes the plugs for the 2x 3 holes in the rollbar underside used for the rear racks now! piratenanner.gif

https://914rubber.com/ski-rack-rear-plug-for-porsche-914

idea.gif

It looks like you'll need to run the L & R straps from the inner to outer ski loop mounts, with them crossing in the middle.

Otherwise you'll have trouble keeping both or a single board stable & secure on them.

That foam wrap is easy to cut access holes for the straps, so that the straps will also help hold the foam in place, & secured with the straps when no board(s), but I'd still recco removing the foam & straps when parked without boards so that they don't "walk away"!

You may need to use a bike cable lock or something if you're parkig with boards on & unattended.

Back in the day I had a board surfing buddy with a 914 who had some custom board racks made up from a pair of Karos (he used the Karo windshield frame & rollbar mounting plates/brackets welded to & with new chrome or SS tubing & cleats for tie-downs).

It was pretty slick & minimal air resistance/noise without the boards.

Looking forward to some coll Amelia pix.

But you do know that we have much bigger waves out here in CA & West Coast - except during Hurricanes of course! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

ah yes you do that’s why we have had boards designed for our type of surf - picked this up - it’s a 75 or board same as the car!!
wes
Surprisingly fast shipping all the way from Germany! I just received the rack.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
wes
Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(wes @ Apr 30 2021, 09:51 PM) *

Surprisingly fast shipping all the way from Germany! I just received the rack.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

looks great! cant wait to get mine
rgalla9146
QUOTE(wes @ Apr 30 2021, 09:52 PM) *

Wes how many straps came with the rack ?
The attachment to the roll bar is with allens ?
TIA
Rory
DRPHIL914
looks like SS allen head screws and 8 straps with my kit but his may have been different,
also looks like the front mounting pads on. his might be difference just better condition , as old as these are i’m sure there will be a great deal of variation on the pads and leather
Tom_T
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Apr 29 2021, 05:52 PM) *

ah yes you do that’s why we have had boards designed for our type of surf - picked this up - it’s a 75 or board same as the car!!
IPB Image

That looks like a twin skeg "Swallow Tail" IIRC the name. I think it was some guys experimenting from San Juan Capistrano/Capistrano Beach (SJC/Capo Beach for the locals) who came up with it & named it.

I was into body surfing from Jr HS/HS in San Diego in the 1960s, but I had a couple of buddies who were experimenting with homemade short boards in the nascent short board movement - from the long board standard up until then. I remember one of Gordon's boards (no, not that "Gordie") with a similar concept shallow "Vee" & triple skeg (shorter skegs than yours) that he liked to use on small days at La Jolla Shores/Scripps.

But observational, buddies & a couple of not good tries on boards is my limit of board surfing know-how! LOL

However, we were doing all of the body surfing tricks now part of the competitive side, but all on our own messing around back in the 1960s-70s just seeing what we could do. We mostly had 6-8' to work with at Scripps & Huntington Beach (where I lived after college Sept 74>) - both are/were long flat beaches, so the break was pretty far out, with long runs to play around in - but had to dodge the more a-hole board guys until they finally "zoned" the beach for boards.

As for the roll bar attaching bolts - AFAIK pretty much all of the factory/OEM & aftermarket 914 racks of all types used Allen Bolts/Screws, probably because slotted, phillips or even hex would've gotten buggered-up pretty quickly with all the on-&-off you did with the racks - plus the Allen Key prevented over torquing them.

Both of my ski & bike racks purchased from Chick Iverson Porsche+Audi in Newport Beach back in the day have Allens. I think that they were "approved" by VWoA or maybe contracted by them - since they were both sold here by Porsche+Audi dealerships' parts departments all around SoCal back in the 1970s.

Here are pix FYI of my Piper Ski & Hardt Bike racks - not as pretty as your chromed Karos - but you get the idea on the rubber pads & allen screws used with them.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
(sorry, no box nor instructions on the ski racks anymore - but you can see that they were used by the air wear on the black paint. I just noticed that I don't have the allens out in those pix - sorry!)

So I'm not surprised that the Karo Racks' screws/bolts are Allen.

Awaiting pix with boards &/or skis on 914s from all 3 of you! Maybe do a joint Garage Topic with pix so more 914ers on here can see them.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Jett
Very cool… I think there are a few of us with these NOS ski racks, and as Tom said it would be cool to see them all on a thread. This will force us to install the rack and bolt up our K2’s smile.gif
SixerJ
Found a NOS set of Atomics few years back and a year later NOS 490RDs in hot pink to match the flash on the skis

Just need the ski rack now.....and a finished car.....and the balls to actually drill and mount the bindings.

They sure don’t finish skis the same way they used to, the Arcs are a work of art and lacquer

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(SixerJ @ May 6 2021, 07:16 PM) *

Found a NOS set of Atomics few years back and a year later NOS 490RDs in hot pink to match the flash on the skis

Just need the ski rack now.....and a finished car.....and the balls to actually drill and mount the bindings.

They sure don’t finish skis the same way they used to, the Arcs are a work of art and lacquer

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

i had those bindings and Atomic 190 skis- 1985, and rear opening buckle, front ankle had a flex/ shock absorber, so you had a bit of flex forward when leaning into it.
that’s a nice find there!
rgalla9146
Those ads are reminicent of printed advertisments of the 356 era.
They were done either by an artist or photographer depicting the cars in
beautiful locations and in active use in the four seasons.
They were promotional but so well done that they are now very collectible and
as originals pretty expensive.
I wish I could attach examples but no luck.
Crash924
Click to view attachment

Nice to see the original ski racks still floating around... Back in the 1990, I had a custom rack made for my windsurfer (out of rectangular stock)... has tabs for the windshield side and bolts up to the stock roll bar mounting points - with enough room left to get the top on/off!

Not as cool as the original though...
gereed75
There are some very cool classic/period skis out there I throw my hat into the ring for posterity sake in the “ hippest bump ski” category with my Molnar classics

Click to view attachment

Of course everyone had the Olin’s (although the Marker Explodemats do add some panache), but the Molnars were in another league. They had the flex characteristics of addente linguini

Oh yea Welcome Aboard Crash. Nice rack!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.