Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn signal relay clicking + arrows on clock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dax1969

Hi guys,

1974 2.0 FI.

When turning left all of a sudden the turn signal relay starting buzzing and the left/right arrows started blinking . Wiggled the stalked a bit and it stopped but it happened again short after. I have the hella relay with a buzzer which I normally only hear on start-up with the ebrake on. Turnsignals, hazards etc are working and the big red one only comes on when the ebrake is on so I don't think it is brake/master cylinder related.

Assumed it was a faulty turn signal relay so I changed it with a Uro one I had lying around. The car is driveable (no buzzing cause the URO one has no buzzer biggrin.gif ) but the relay keeps clicking and the arrows keep flashing.

Where shall I start ? The stalk (is a rather new one) ? The relay itself ? someone of FB suggested that the connectors below the steering column are not well connected (still need to check). Ground issue ? but I cleaned them all (I guess ALL) a couple of months ago.

thks yr support

krgds
Dax

burlybryan
I didn't have any flashing lights, but my turn signal relay had clicked for years (pre-dating my ownership) and I finally determined (with the help of the forum) that it was due to a loose front turn signal bulb. Bulb lit up ok, but the relay must be sensitive to a weak connection. I cleaned up the contacts and installed a new bulb and the relay no longer clicked.

I think there are a bunch of other things that can make the relay unhappy, but thought I'd share my strange solution.
dax1969
QUOTE(burlybryan @ Apr 19 2021, 07:05 PM) *

I didn't have any flashing lights, but my turn signal relay had clicked for years (pre-dating my ownership) and I finally determined (with the help of the forum) that it was due to a loose front turn signal bulb. Bulb lit up ok, but the relay must be sensitive to a weak connection. I cleaned up the contacts and installed a new bulb and the relay no longer clicked.

I think there are a bunch of other things that can make the relay unhappy, but thought I'd share my strange solution.

Thks, worth checking

Krgds
Dax
dax1969
Finally found the issue ... brake switch on the brake cylinder is most likely shot.

I was just guessing to solve my problem and tried resetting the brake switch on the master cylinder. Noticed that the little button was no longer there so disconnected the wire. Clicking/flashing stopped so I ordered a new one pole brake switch.

Will I need to bleed the brakes again or can I just change out the switch ? Will there be brakefluid dripping out ? (sorry if this is a stupid question)

note : weird that only the relais kept clicking and my turnsignals were flashing. Assumed that the brake warning light should come on in case the switch goes wrong

thks
Dax
Spoke
The 914 flasher relay is used also to indicate MC brake issues via the switch you disconnected. It is likely the switch is leaking (electrical leak, not fluid) and causing the flasher relay to activate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.