Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: picture rotation tip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MM1
Recently I've experienced some frustration posting pics here (yes, gentle readers, and lovers of sarcasm - I worked as a pro event photographer decades ago . . .all film, Hasselblad, blah, blah)- pictures that were shot and correctly oriented were rotated -I even tried edit>rotate 90 degrees (inserted into a post draft 5 times for a full 360 headbang.gif ).

Here's a trick I tried that has worked everytime so far since the issues mentioned above: edit> very slightly crop = correct orientation when posted on 914World!

Hopefully this addresses potential issues - at least for those dastardly "apple users"-lol.

If you (the "Chosen" - just joking CP beerchug.gif beer.gif poke.gif - as I once was, at least in principle, i.e. before I finally acquiesced and had to get a smartphone for work) androidites have had any issues like above and have found any successful tricks, please share . . .then we'll have the bases covered - at least until some other "superpower" releases another platform that allows them to peer into your very soul (camera's always on) during every waking moment, whilst pretending not to (at least legally).

p.s. the issue I had above was with pictures directly posted from my phone, as well as emailed to myself (for downsizing) and texted to one of my kid's phones (for downsizing as well).
SirAndy
We don't rotate images, it's your phone that does that for you.

When you take an image with your phone, it also records the orientation of your phone so it knows that even though you have it technically upside down, to rotate the image to show it to you correctly. That orientation is embedded in the meta data of the image.

Our forum software is 15+ years old, long before there was such a thing as phone camera images.
Our software does not know how to fix your rotation mistakes and displays the image exactly how it was taken.
Meaning, if you held your phone upside down, that's what you will get here when you upload that image.

On most phones, you are holding it correctly if the button to take the image is on the right side of your screen.
shades.gif
Jamie
QUOTE(MM1 @ Apr 19 2021, 10:30 AM) *

Recently I've experienced some frustration posting pics here (yes, gentle readers, and lovers of sarcasm - I worked as a pro event photographer decades ago . . .all film, Hasselblad, blah, blah)- pictures that were shot and correctly oriented were rotated -I even tried edit>rotate 90 degrees (inserted into a post draft 5 times for a full 360 headbang.gif ).

Here's a trick I tried that has worked everytime so far since the issues mentioned above: edit> very slightly crop = correct orientation when posted on 914World!

Hopefully this addresses potential issues - at least for those dastardly "apple users"-lol.

If you (the "Chosen" - just joking CP beerchug.gif beer.gif poke.gif - as I once was, at least in principle, i.e. before I finally acquiesced and had to get a smartphone for work) androidites have had any issues like above and have found any successful tricks, please share . . .then we'll have the bases covered - at least until some other "superpower" releases another platform that allows them to peer into your very soul (camera's always on) during every waking moment, whilst pretending not to (at least legally).

p.s. the issue I had above was with pictures directly posted from my phone, as well as emailed to myself (for downsizing) and texted to one of my kid's phones (for downsizing as well).

With those 2 1/4"square negatives from a "Blad" it was also often hard to print correct orientation without some added information. confused24.gif
mgarrison
I resize the pics on my laptop (Win10) before posting. If I resize down to the smallest size (.25 MP), they are oriented correctly after I post them. If I resize them down to the next option up (2 MP) they are rotated 90 degrees, but when you click on them to open the larger image its oriented correctly... headbang.gif

May just stick with the smallest size as it seems to work consistently.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mgarrison @ Apr 19 2021, 02:20 PM) *
If I resize them down to the next option up (2 MP) they are rotated 90 degrees, but when you click on them to open the larger image its oriented correctly... headbang.gif

That means your original image is rotated 90 degrees off.

When you upload a large image, the forum software down-samples it into a smaller image.
That image will be rotated exactly like the original input image (in your case 90 degrees rotated).

However, when you click on that image your original image (not downsized) is shown in a new browser window where the display is handled by your browser and not the forum software. Your browser will read the rotation information from the image meta data and rotate your original so it shows correctly.

Again, our forum software is not capable to correct for any phone rotation. If you want your images to be shown correctly, you need to either take them in the correct orientation or use a post processing application to prepare your images before you post them.
shades.gif
oakdalecurtis
I had this rotation problem on some pictures too. Here's an easy fix. Before you attach any image, go to your phone or computer's image, click edit, and rotate the picture one time all the way around, 360 degrees. The pic will now look correct when you post it. Don't ask me why that works, but it does...
Jett
The rotation can happen because of the image size. Quick fix:

On iOS:

1. Take picture
2. Email picture to yourself as attachment (by default it will chose medium)
3. Received email, open attachment, and save picture
4. When uploading pic to 914World, pick the recent folder and pic the recently saved picture.

The web browser has a tendency to not handle large files well and why when you click on the rotated image it corrects, because the native photo application is rendering not the browser.
mepstein
As SirAndy said. Hold the phone horizontal with the home button on the right (top of phone on the left) and the pic will be oriented correctly. Save a lot of time compared to fixing it later.
larryM

How to Flip or Mirror Photos and Images on iPhone and iPad

Here’s how to flip photos on iPhone and iPad.

https://www.howtogeek.com/721356/how-to-fli...phone-and-ipad/

first.gif
ClayPerrine
I have never had any issues with picture rotation. But then again, I don't use crapple products. I use a real computer and a real phone. poke.gif

mgarrison
Thanks SirAndy! I just tested with three new pics and made sure I had the phone oriented as you said - worked correctly on both sizes of pictures. pray.gif
jrmdir
I always post from my laptop and have gotten into this routine for photos:

Email from my phone to myself (Samsung allows resizing if you want)
Open the attachment on my laptop (Windows10)
The photo opens in a window that has several editing functions including rotate.
Then either:
a) Save image for uploading to the forum as is, or.
b) Take a screen shot and do further editing in Paint (cropping, text, arrows, etc.) Can also rotate here as well. Then save as jpg for uploading to the forum.

Perhaps too many steps but it works for me.

Ron
rhodyguy
Too many hoops to jump thru due to a perceived issue. So, we take a picture with a tablet, email the picture to ourselves, save the picture, reorientate it, then post it? WTF.gif Too much work. But I CAN understand the frustration when an image suddenly pops up and is upside down. THE HORROR! That a simple tap on the screen and miraculously the picture appears right side up works better for me.
jrmdir
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 25 2021, 09:20 AM) *

Too many hoops to jump thru due to a perceived issue. So, we take a picture with a tablet, email the picture to ourselves, save the picture, reorientate it, then post it? WTF.gif Too much work. But I CAN understand the frustration when an image suddenly pops up and is upside down. THE HORROR! That a simple tap on the screen and miraculously the picture appears right side up works better for me.

Thanks Rhodyguy - I appreciate the compliment but, really, the "Why That's Fantastic" emoji is over the top! beerchug.gif

Ron
Literati914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 25 2021, 08:20 AM) *

..THE HORROR! That a simple tap on the screen and miraculously the picture appears right side up works better for me.

Rhodyguy, this post did nothing but raise curiosity regarding ‘a simple tap’… care to expound on it? ..well, then there’s the HORROR comment, I mean how many times have we seen threads with the old ‘didn’t happen with out pics’ comment. So we want to encourage pic posting obviously.

Personally I’ve seriously considered not posting to my build thread any longer - no sour grapes or anything just more hassle than it should be. I know sirandy and world in general do a great job, but this thread IS helpful just so it doesn’t become boring here with less pics and projects. JMHO of course. Thanks everyone for these tips, good stuff, I’ll be trying them in the future.
rhodyguy
My tablet. Take picture. Correct orientation on the screen. Post picture. Upside down. Tap one time with finger on picture. Picture goes full screen In the correct orientation. Pretty simple and I don't have to get off the couch, walk in to another room and fire up the computer.
raynekat
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Apr 19 2021, 04:15 PM) *

I had this rotation problem on some pictures too. Here's an easy fix. Before you attach any image, go to your phone or computer's image, click edit, and rotate the picture one time all the way around, 360 degrees. The pic will now look correct when you post it. Don't ask me why that works, but it does...

This "hack" works for me too.
If a pic is rotated when I put it into the post....just delete it from the post.
Find this pic on your computer (or phone) and open it up and rotate it 360deg and save it back.
Not import this pic back into your post, and it's the correct way up.
Inquiring minds want to know how it works...but it does. wink.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(jrmdir @ Aug 25 2021, 07:17 AM) *

I always post from my laptop and have gotten into this routine for photos:

Email from my phone to myself (Samsung allows resizing if you want)
Open the attachment on my laptop (Windows10)
The photo opens in a window that has several editing functions including rotate.
Then either:
a) Save image for uploading to the forum as is, or.
b) Take a screen shot and do further editing in Paint (cropping, text, arrows, etc.) Can also rotate here as well. Then save as jpg for uploading to the forum.

Perhaps too many steps but it works for me.

Ron

Exactly what I do. I've found that resizing to 10% puts it right in the zone to fit on a page. It's frustrating to have pictures come through on the site where all you see is the dogdish hubcap of a Charger when it's the whole car!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.