Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS 1970 6 cylinder 914 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Yogimd
So I am new to 914 world. I just bought an immaculate Sepia 914 and she came with a spare 914-6 engine - not frozen but needs love. I have a matching serial numbered engine so am not looking to make a project that I don't need. Wanting to sell the engine to fund my new purchase. If you are looking to upgrade it was as I understand purchased from a totaled 1970 914/6 and kept garaged and covered for the last 2 decades. The engine is in Northern California and though I can ship her home with me to the east coast it makes sense to get her where she needs to go directly.

$9500 or best offer. She turns over and as I understood it came from a low miles 1970 that got totaled but engine worked at the time she was parted out and that was 30 years ago.

Serial number shown.

IPB Image
Robarabian
All ads must have a price.
Yogimd
So I am new to 914 world. I just bought an immaculate Sepia 914 and she came with a spare 916 engine - not frozen but needs love. I have a matching serial numbered engine so am not looking to make a project that I don't need. Wanting to sell the engine to fund my new purchase. If you are looking to upgrade it was as I understand purchased from a totaled 1970 914/6 and kept garaged and covered for the last 2 decades. The engine is in Northern California and though I can ship her home with me to the east coast it makes sense to get her where she needs to go directly.

Serial number shown. Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Post photos. What city on Norcal?
Puebloswatcop
QUOTE(Yogimd @ Apr 19 2021, 06:36 PM) *

So I am new to 914 world. I just bought an immaculate Sepia 914 and she came with a spare 916 engine - not frozen but needs love. I have a matching serial numbered engine so am not looking to make a project that I don't need. Wanting to sell the engine to fund my new purchase. If you are looking to upgrade it was as I understand purchased from a totaled 1970 914/6 and kept garaged and covered for the last 2 decades. The engine is in Northern California and though I can ship her home with me to the east coast it makes sense to get her where she needs to go directly.

Serial number shown.

Price?
73-914
Must be FREE poke.gif
Yogimd
QUOTE(Yogimd @ Apr 19 2021, 09:36 PM) *

Serial number shown.

This video shows it turns over. smile.gif

Yogimd
QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Apr 20 2021, 12:44 PM) *

Serial number shown.

Price?

$9500 or best offer. She turns over and as I understood it came from a low miles 1970 that got totaled but engine worked at the time she was parted out and that was 30 years ago.
Yogimd
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Apr 19 2021, 09:48 PM) *

All ads must have a price.

$9500 obo
mepstein
QUOTE(Yogimd @ Apr 20 2021, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Puebloswatcop @ Apr 20 2021, 12:44 PM) *

Serial number shown.

Price?

That's about double what complete 914-6 non running engines sell for.
roblav1
Rottsa Ruck!
Bucci
So your 916 motor would be a 2.4 L or possibly a 2.6L motor.? Is that the motor you have..?

From the Hagerty written article

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/this-por...u-could-own-it/

“Hoping to set the car apart from the 911 S, Porsche planned to fit the 916 with a 2.6-litre engine. However, the first three 916 prototypes received a 2.4-litre 911 S mill producing 190bhp, while the later cars were fitted with a 2.7-litre engine producing 210bhp.”
mb911
So that has cast iron cylinders a sure sign its a 914-6 /911t engine not a 916 engine. About half the hp of a 916 engine and much less desirable unless you can find the original 914-6 it belongs to.
rgalla9146
Lets be a little kinder.
We've all heard people refer to 914 6s as 916s
That's lack of knowledge.
Same goes for 914 6 engines. They're not high performance engines by 911 standards.
A 914 6 engine is only valuable in the car it came from.
If the car is scrapped the engine is a common orphan.
2.0 911 T long blocks can be had for far less.
Cairo94507
That's all true, sure. But we have a brand new member who for his first post, posts a "916" engine for almost $10K. Overlooking the stratospheric price and the mistake re it being a real 916 engine, I am just saying if this is something you are for some reason interested in, be very careful in the purchase.

We have plenty of members in Northern CA and I am sure one will offer to go see this in person to verify the engine, and deliver payment, if it comes down to that. beerchug.gif welcome.png
IronHillRestorations
An engine case starting with 640 serial number is not a 916 engine. Sorry. Not to be mean spirited, or insulting, a bare 640 engine isn't a highly sought after engine and will only bring $2-3000 on a good day. If you have all the ancillaries to go with it, it might bring more. Best of luck
Jett
QUOTE(IronHillRestorations @ Apr 21 2021, 11:48 AM) *

An engine case starting with 640 serial number is not a 916 engine. Sorry. Not to be mean spirited, or insulting, a bare 640 engine isn't a highly sought after engine and will only bring $2-3000 on a good day. If you have all the ancillaries to go with it, it might bring more. Best of luck

+1 I recently bought a long block for under 2k
Gint
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 21 2021, 05:24 AM) *

Lets be a little kinder.
Same goes for 914 6 engines. They're not high performance engines by 911 standards.

agree.gif

Lighten up. New guy buys a 914. Makes a typo in his thread title. He has to learn somehow, but this shouldn't be the 914world experience we should be putting forth.

@Yogimd

I fixed up you first post and your thread title.
Blue6
Nice job admin. beerchug.gif That’s the correct way to welcome a new member...
rgalla9146

Serial number shown.

IPB Image

The big question remains.
Is the car you bought a 4 or a 6 ?
Also, Sepia is an unusual color on a 914......original color ?
Gint
I'm reasonably certain he is the auction winner of this car and a spare 914/6 engine. I might be wrong. I doubt it. happy11.gif

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-porsche-914-39/
MM1
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 23 2021, 09:37 AM) *

I'm reasonably certain he is the auction winner of this car and a spare 914/6 engine. I might be wrong. I doubt it. happy11.gif

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-porsche-914-39/

Good catch, Mike - identical oxidation pattern on cam cover, black spot on oil line, rust stain on driver side crankcase, rusty nut in a particular location etc. - undoubtedly the same spare motor as the BAT listing.
burlybryan
The same handle as the BAT buyer didn't give it away? shades.gif
Gint
What gave it away was the fact that he purchased a sepia brown 914 AND a spare 914/6 engine. That's not a combo that comes along every day...
euro911
This thread may have left a bad taste in the new guy's mouth confused24.gif

Congrats on your new acquisition, @yogimd ... and for what it's worth, welcome.png
Blue6
Yogimd, come on back and give the world another try. There is some really good people here. The engine may not be worth as much as you assumed, but these guys will give you a fair valuation. You just can’t be thin skinned here. That car you bought looks great. Watch the classified adds for a new muffler. Maybe pass that Anza on to a lesser car. poke.gif
David.laRuse
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Apr 21 2021, 07:37 PM) *

I agree totally, Lets put our arm around the new Member and offer assistance, not ridicule. David la Ruse
Yogimd
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 21 2021, 07:17 AM) *

So that has cast iron cylinders a sure sign its a 914-6 /911t engine not a 916 engine. About half the hp of a 916 engine and much less desirable unless you can find the original 914-6 it belongs to.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I am hardly an expert but consulted a couple and also referenced the serial number on bigporsche.com and it indicates as well that it is a 916 engine.
Yogimd
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 21 2021, 06:50 PM) *

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 21 2021, 05:24 AM) *

Lets be a little kinder.

agree.gif

Lighten up. New guy buys a 914. Makes a typo in his thread title. He has to learn somehow, but this shouldn't be the 914world experience we should be putting forth.

@Yogimd

I fixed up you first post and your thread title.

Thanks. Assuredly I have a lot to learn and am going on what I was told by others.Its a longblock flat six. No offense meant but I did check the serial on an available list at bigporsche.com and the assurance of the seller I got it from that it came out of a parted 914/6 25 years ago. I am hardly an expert though.
Yogimd
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 22 2021, 07:19 AM) *

Serial number shown.

IPB Image

The big question remains.
Is the car you bought a 4 or a 6 ?
Also, Sepia is an unusual color on a 914......original color ?

Hi. The sepia was a custom order color and original to the car.
the Engine was separate from the car. I have the serial matched 914. 1.7 liter engine in the car and don't intend to use the 6 cylinder that I have so it is up for sale.
Yogimd
QUOTE(David.laRuse @ Apr 29 2021, 12:33 PM) *

I agree totally, Lets put our arm around the new Member and offer assistance, not ridicule. David la Ruse

Thanks to all. I have the engine to sell and again don't know it's real value other than what I was told. I am pretty thick skinned and here to enjoy and learn. I just came back from an 800 mile jaunt along the California Coast and am forever changed by my 914.
Jett
QUOTE(Yogimd @ May 4 2021, 07:50 AM) *

Thanks to all. I have the engine to sell and again don't know it's real value other than what I was told. I am pretty thick skinned and here to enjoy and learn. I just came back from an 800 mile jaunt along the California Coast and am forever changed by my 914.

Great job, you have a beautiful 914!
mb911
Congrats on the new car.. in an effort to clarify what you have there so you can best advertise it

1st there were multiple trim and engine levels for 914s in a basic form

You have the 4cyl group of cars that ran the entire production run of 914s.

Then you had the 914-6 cars that ran from 70-72 and came with 2.0 911T engines but serialized specific to the 914-6.

Then you had a hand full of 916s and really it was only a dozen that came with 2.4s and 2.7s. They were very very special and heavily documented.

What you have is a 914-6 engine as it has cast iron cylinders. That is the tell tale. A 916 engine would have aluminum cylinders and would for sure have documentation as those cars are trading for hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars.. I am not going to throw a number out on what the value is on your engine as I am not an interested party but I do welcome you to the board and would be happy to help in anyway possible.
devious rhesus
Would this be one of the sand cast 2.0 engines?
mb911
QUOTE(devious rhesus @ May 6 2021, 05:48 PM) *

Would this be one of the sand cast 2.0 engines?

No its magnesium.. sand cast are very early.
Yogimd
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 4 2021, 11:28 AM) *

Congrats on the new car.. in an effort to clarify what you have there so you can best advertise it

1st there were multiple trim and engine levels for 914s in a basic form

You have the 4cyl group of cars that ran the entire production run of 914s.

Then you had the 914-6 cars that ran from 70-72 and came with 2.0 911T engines but serialized specific to the 914-6.

Then you had a hand full of 916s and really it was only a dozen that came with 2.4s and 2.7s. They were very very special and heavily documented.

What you have is a 914-6 engine as it has cast iron cylinders. That is the tell tale. A 916 engine would have aluminum cylinders and would for sure have documentation as those cars are trading for hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars.. I am not going to throw a number out on what the value is on your engine as I am not an interested party but I do welcome you to the board and would be happy to help in anyway possible.

Thanks so much @mb911 for the education and generosity of spirit. The clarification is a great help.smile.gif
Archie
QUOTE(Yogimd @ May 4 2021, 07:50 AM) *

Nice job admin. :beer2: That’s the correct way to welcome a new member...

Well done! Stick with the World; there are some truly friendly and knowledgeable people on here - plus a couple of old soreheads - who have given me answers I badly needed along my restoration journey!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.