Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to buy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
Mine are worn out, they have too much slack in them to make me comfortable. I think they are a big reason why I can't synchronize my carbs.

That bracket also has a worn key, so its wobbles on the throttle shaft on the carb.

Anyone have anything laying around? Or where can I buy new parts? Weber 40IDF-70.

Thanks!
yarin
lapuwali
The throttle arm you can get from aircooled.net. The linkage bits depend strongly on which linkage you have. There are quite a few out there. I don't recognize those arms, so I can't point you anywhere. If it's the rod ends that are worn out, you can pick those up nearly anywhere. Just measure the threads and the size of the hole in the end.

Do you have a photo of the complete linkage?
Red-Beard
While I would never use them for a motor rebuild, you can get lots of decent parts from Motor Meister. They definitely sell the complete Weber linkage.

I just "gave" away a complete linkage (Well, threw it in while selling my carbs, since I didn't need them or the weather shield K&N filters).

James
yarin
This isn't the best pic of the linkage, but u can see it here: http://coewww.rutgers.edu/~yarin/my914/Eng...s/IMG_0282.html

Can I pick up the rod arms anywhere locally?

I'll check out motor meister. I want to go with new rod ends, rods, and mounting hardware.

Thanks
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (yarin @ Jul 21 2005, 08:22 AM)
Can I pick up the rod arms anywhere locally?
I'll check out motor meister.

those rod ends really are junk -- i've used (and replaced) them.
Hirschmann make good metric rod ends - looks like you'll need a right and a left for each link rod (turnbuckle). Pegasus also stocks rod ends, but you are going to need to KNOW what kind of threads you've got there.

donno what your neighborhood is like but i wouldn't even start to look for a local source -- i think i could have something from a race car supplier or McMaster-Carr before i even found the source.

there's a M-C warehouse in NJ and i got next-day *ground* service for some stainless fittings i needed.

i'd be quite surprised if MotorMeister had any aftermarket /4 carb linkage parts but i suppose yor never know...
yarin
I don't need to keep the threaded linkage rods. They are a bit worn as well. I want all new components. Can I get everything from M-C? My brother might be able to pick them up from M-C this weekend.

Thanks
ArtechnikA
i would be astonished if you could pick up pre-threaded turnbuckle rod.

you should be able to find appropriately sized blank rod and a pair of right/left hand threading dies. i would not go a small and flimsy as that rod, but you have to watch the rod end bore size - you may have to look carefully to find a rod end with a bore bigger than the threaded size. they exist, but it's something to look for.

1/4 is probably too big, but i don't think i'd go smaller than 3/16.

are these links pushrods or pullrods? pushrods need to be stiffer...

if you use round rod, get a couple of spare jam nuts and braze one to the rod; that'll give you something to grip while you adjust the length.
lapuwali
I would just keep the turnbuckle rods you have and just clean them up. Some metal polish will make the hex section look new. Measure the threads on that rod (may or may not be metric, I'm betting NOT metric). M-C is a good source for rod-ends.
yarin
I ordered a fresh set from McMaster and a crappy set from CB Performance with a few extras. Since the order from McMaster is supposed to ship today and McMaster is in NJ maybe i'll get the parts tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.
bperry
Amazingly enough, Lowe's actually used to sell heim joints.
I haven't looked for them in a year or so but they were in the hardware
section in the bins/drawers with all the specialty bolts, plugs, clips etc...

They actually quite a bit of odd ball useful stuff in that section.
Lots of stuff for automotive and lawn mower needs.

--- Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.