Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this fan okay to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanpaulmc
I'm working on the engine tins while slowly disassembling the engine and now have a question about the fan.

The fan that came off this engine is PN: 021 119 113
I 'think' this is a Bus Type 4 fan per Google.
Per PET looks like the 914 Type 4 fan for 2.0L is PN: 021 119 031 AD

Click to view attachment

Can/should this fan be used in the 914 application?
What are the differences?
Should I source the correct part?
No fins are broken. Some bent. Some nicked.
Novice opinion is overall condition is good.

To clarify purpose, I plan to put this to a 2056 with the D-Jet FI.

Since pictures are loved so much, here is one showing the condition of the fan house just after pulling the fan.
1. Note the grime.
2. Note the machining marks from the fan rubbing on the housing. This is also seen on the back of the fan as well.

Click to view attachment

I'm thinking of taking this to a self-service car wash after it sees the business end of a putty knife. It is nasty!
I've got hours into cleaning the tins because the inside of most of them were the same.

What's your favorite degreaser for this kind of stuff?

Thank you!

-Sean
914Sixer
TDC on all the fans are the same. Djet Fans are marked a 27* before TDC and 1.8 are marked a 7.5* before TDC for timing.
Mark Henry
Was there a big ass washer under the fan, big center hole and 3 smaller holes?
If it's missing that explains the rubbing issue.

A bus fan will be marked wrong, but you can mark it properly.
seanpaulmc
Thank you, Mark, telling me what to look for.

The big spacer washer - 021 119 121

previous ad for fan hub spacer washer

It is not there. Here is the fan hub with fan removed. Nothing fell out or came loose and it wasn't on the back of the fan.

Click to view attachment

I was also able to find the 914 Timing Mark Template over on the Pelican board. The fan is still soaking in degreaser but I'm pretty sure there is only one mark on it right now.

Since these aren't original 914 parts, should I expect trouble lining up the fan and alternator pullies at reassembly?

Thanks,
Sean

mcswiggs
There are a few design detail changes over the years, but I had no problem putting a very late bus Type 4 fan on my ‘74 914 - you won’t have any issues once you’ve found a spacer. I transposed the timing marks from the old one to the new one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.