Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My new to me barn find!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Google_Bhrome
Hey guys! I recently picked up this new to me 914 barn find for 500$. I believe it’s a 1974 model and I’m not sure what engine. Looks to have 35k miles on it. Everything’s there but seems to be in rough shape but I’m excited to start working on it. The hell hole has a rust hole in it, but besides that, being in Arizona there isn’t any other rust anywhere!

Anyone know what type of engine it is? Got a brand new carburetor to go with it but gotta find a Haynes manual haha. I believe the wheels are 15’ and would you think I would be able to mount 195/55/15 on them? The original tires are dry rotted.

Big pickup or big mistake? Would love to hear your opinion!

Here are some pictures.
Pictures

piratenanner.gif
mb911
Looks great to start with for the money. Probably a 1.8 or 2.0 engine if its a 73.
bretth
Probably a 1.8 if original engine because the spark plugs are up top as opposed to lower down on the 2.0. They can be rusty cars but hopefully you are lucky. Time to get a welding rig if you don't have already. Have fun with it.
Jamie
Only 1.7L and 2L were installed in 73, and this appears to be a 1.7L. Car must have been buried for many dusty years, and a good washing will reveal much info about actual condition. sad.gif
CoronaMike
It's got a 74 rear bumper and 2.0 alloys. One things pretty certain though - I don't think that 35k miles is legit. smile.gif The good news is - even if it turns out to be too much work - you can part it out and get way more money back.
KELTY360
It’s a ‘74 according to the tag and the bumper tits in rear. For $500 you definitely scored! How big a score depends on the rust situation and engine id. The console with gauges is a valuable option.

welcome.png
Root_Werks
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 23 2021, 08:57 AM) *

It’s a ‘74 according to the tag and the bumper tits in rear. For $500 you definitely scored! How big a score depends on the rust situation and engine id. The console with gauges is a valuable option.

welcome.png

agree.gif

Also look at the gauges and other clues, 74.

Nice find for the money!
jasons
Probably not a mistake if you are up for the work ahead which there is more than you think. There just always is.

These are my assumptions based on those pics... The odometer is more than likely rolled over. There is way too much mismatch there for it to be 35k. I see silver inside the doors, 2 colors on the rear decklid, FI has been removed and some single carb added then removed. Aftermarket parts like square fogs and baby Tornado mirrors. The engine is probably not a 2.0 because the engine tin looks Porsche 1.7/1.8 or VW Bus. You need to pull the rockers and see how much dirt was trapped in there. The other place I would look for rust is the passenger firewall. The firewall pad traps moisture. These are 2 spots rust hides even on "rust free" cars.

It could be an original 2.0 car. It has the wheels and correct center caps. I don't think those center caps fit on Fuchs copies. It also has a 2.0 center console. Some things you can look for... The paint code in the front part of the driver door jamb. There may be a sticker in the engine compartment driver side that has the engine spec. Sometimes they are still there, a lot of times they are gone. Look underneath for factory sway bars.

All in all for $500, there is way more good than bad. But I see a full restoration no matter how good that chassis is.
rhodyguy
"Brand new carburetor", as in one? A step backwards...
SirAndy
VIN tag says:

4742910066 (i'm leaning towards the 66)
or

so it is a 74

The passenger door shows silver so it may be a repaint car (or replaced door).

The VIN is too early for it to be a LE car.

The odometer has almost certainly rolled over, this looks much more like a 135k car.

The single carb is aftermarket and about the worst possible thing you can do to a 914.

If the engine is original to the car, it will be a 1.8L EC (you can tell by the spark plug location) that had L-Jet fuel injection when it was new.

Now having said all that, you can't really go wrong for $500 ...
biggrin.gif

PS: welcome.png
Google_Bhrome
QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 23 2021, 11:02 AM) *

Probably not a mistake if you are up for the work ahead which there is more than you think. There just always is.

These are my assumptions based on those pics... The odometer is more than likely rolled over. There is way too much mismatch there for it to be 35k. I see silver inside the doors, 2 colors on the rear decklid, FI has been removed and some single carb added then removed. Aftermarket parts like square fogs and baby Tornado mirrors. The engine is probably not a 2.0 because the engine tin looks Porsche 1.7/1.8 or VW Bus. You need to pull the rockers and see how much dirt was trapped in there. The other place I would look for rust is the passenger firewall. The firewall pad traps moisture. These are 2 spots rust hides even on "rust free" cars.

It could be an original 2.0 car. It has the wheels and correct center caps. I don't think those center caps fit on Fuchs copies. It also has a 2.0 center console. Some things you can look for... The paint code in the front part of the driver door jamb. There may be a sticker in the engine compartment driver side that has the engine spec. Sometimes they are still there, a lot of times they are gone. Look underneath for factory sway bars.

All in all for $500, there is way more good than bad. But I see a full restoration no matter how good that chassis is.

Why would they remove fuel injection over carbs? I definitely gotta do some inspection on the engine. The driver door jamb card seems to have been removed, would there be any other place for a paint code?
Google_Bhrome
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 23 2021, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Apr 23 2021, 08:57 AM) *

welcome.png

agree.gif

Also look at the gauges and other clues, 74.

Nice find for the money!

Thanks! I haven’t gone through several boxes of spare parts but I’m hoping that the odometer glass is in there.
Google_Bhrome
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 23 2021, 11:29 AM) *

VIN tag says:

4742910066 (i'm leaning towards the 66)
or

so it is a 74

The passenger door shows silver so it may be a repaint car (or replaced door).

The VIN is too early for it to be a LE car.

The odometer has almost certainly rolled over, this looks much more like a 135k car.

The single carb is aftermarket and about the worst possible thing you can do to a 914.

If the engine is original to the car, it will be a 1.8L EC (you can tell by the spark plug location) that had L-Jet fuel injection when it was new.

Now having said all that, you can't really go wrong for $500 ...
biggrin.gif

PS: welcome.png

I’m going to clean the vin tag later to see if I can read it. I think you’re right about the doors, it’s definitely been repainted. I think the front trunk is original because the paint under it is pristine. If the whole car was like that it would be so pretty.

As for the fuel delivery, fuel injection or dual carbs, which is the way to go?
jasons
QUOTE(Google_Bhrome @ Apr 23 2021, 09:43 AM) *

Why would they remove fuel injection over carbs? I definitely gotta do some inspection on the engine. The driver door jamb card seems to have been removed, would there be any other place for a paint code?

Well in the period when these were "poor mans Porsches", a lot of mechanics and DIY'ers didn't know how or want to spend the time trying to fix the fuel injection. Cheap solution was to throw a carb on there. Those single carb kits are frowned upon probably for a variety of reasons. Also, just throwing a carb on an FI car is a problem because the engine is cammed for the FI. The FI, when sorted out, works really good. If you rebuild the motor putting duel carbs on is a reasonable option assuming you build the motor to be carbureted.

This is a paint code tag, pulled off google randomly... It's between the door hinge and the door strap. I would be surprised if it wasn't there.

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 23 2021, 10:08 AM) *
This is a paint code tag, pulled off google randomly... It's between the door hinge and the door strap. I would be surprised if it wasn't there.

Slightly better angle

IPB Image

930cabman
Welcome aboard, could be a great adventure. Give her a good scrub and see what you have.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.