Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some help: replacing my turn signal switch/stalk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
I have a '73 2.0.

My turn signal doesn't auto cancel after making left turns, but it does auto cancel after making right turns. I have a spare (new in box) turn signal switch. I'm going to swap that in to see if it correct the issue. I'm putting a new steering wheel on so I thought while I have the wheel off may as well tackle together.

I have the wheel off, remove the screws that hold the turn signal switch to the windshield wiper switch, but they don't seem to pull right off with a gentle tug. I'm referencing my Haynes manual and it seems as though I may need to remove the knee pad on the dash where I can unplug the switches below. That would make sense.

Can someone who's done this before confirm? Any other tips and tricks that may help make this process smooth?

Many thanks in advance!

PS. I did do quite a bit of searching on the board, but couldn't find much on this topic specifically.
FlacaProductions
Yes - remove the knee pad and then unplug the two connectors to the turn signal and wiper switches. you'll also need to be mindful of the two tubes for the wiper fluid that are connected to the wiper switch. You may be able to access them better once you get the switches moving out. They may be rotted/cracked and if they are, you can simply cut them and deal with replacement upon installation.

After unplugged, take the stalks - one in each hand - and rock them back/forth toward/away from you and they will eventually slide out.

Be alert for a few small metal pieces that may drop on the way out - one small grounding tab, especially.

76-914
Yep, pull the knee pad and disconnect them at the plugs under the column. beerchug.gif
windforfun
Leave the screws sort of loose upon reinstallation. The switch assembly needs to "float" in place.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.