Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Windshield Washer Nozzle - Installation Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thegilski
I need some assistance installing a "windshield washer nozzle" into a 914.

I purchased a set of new chrome nozzles from Auto Atlanta. I can't seem to pull the nozzle deep enough into the car nozzle hole, and get the nozzle to seat in the thin rubber groove of the nozzle.

The rubber bulges on the top underside portion of the nozzle, preventing it from slipping deep enough into the nozzle hole, and seating in the groove. I have tried silicon grease and pulled from beneath with plyers, but am concerned I will damage the rubber if I pull too hard.

Does anyone have any advice/experience installing these? Something so easy has become so hard.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Montreal914
If your car has been repainted (maybe more than once) I have read that they can be a pain to install. I am not looking forward to it... dry.gif

johnhora
agree.gif

As mentioned that is usually the reason for problems inserting the nozzle.
Extra layers of paint...it can get very thick there and even making the hole opening smaller that the nozzle won't even fit into it.
Check on the underside of the cowling hole to see if there is paint buildup there...paint kind of goes down the hole and adds to the rim underneath.
On a number of them I have done it helps to remove some of the rubber on the underside of the nozzle by sanding/filing. I've done it by hand and using a Dremel with a small sanding disc....doing it slow and steady just a little at a time and test fitting many times before the right thickness is achieved.
A little patience and time will get you there.
Mikey914
You can try to shave off some rubber, but my choice would be to lube it up with hand soap and use a vice grip to pull down while pushing from the top.
Will need a helper unless you have the hood off.
bkrantz
I had good luck mixing pulling straight down with pulling at an angle (in different directions).
bbrock
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Apr 24 2021, 07:58 PM) *

I had good luck mixing pulling straight down with pulling at an angle (in different directions).

That's what I had to do too but I had to pull so hard that I wound up denting the cowl a little. After stripping my car to bare metal and rebuilding ever nut, bolt and part, I think putting in those nozzles was the worst job on the whole project.
thegilski
Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up trimming the underside with a razor blade, adding grease and pulling real hard, but carefully, from underneath. Got it to seat quite nice. I was surprised to see how tough that rubber was when I pulled with a set of needle nose.

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 24 2021, 10:53 PM) *

That's what I had to do too but I had to pull so hard that I wound up denting the cowl a little. After stripping my car to bare metal and rebuilding ever nut, bolt and part, I think putting in those nozzles was the worst job on the whole project.

mb911
QUOTE(thegilski @ Apr 25 2021, 08:05 AM) *

Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up trimming the underside with a razor blade, adding grease and pulling real hard, but carefully, from underneath. Got it to seat quite nice. I was surprised to see how tough that rubber was when I pulled with a set of needle nose.

QUOTE(bbrock @ Apr 24 2021, 10:53 PM) *

Wrestling these right now.. its on my to do list and now I have some direction.
Root_Werks

agree.gif

Worked for me a bunch of times.

Thick paint doesn't help and Mike had a decent option of shaving a little off the nozzle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.